Seed catalogs

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And so it begins... The never ending "hunny you got a new seed catalog in the mail". Don't let them accumulate, the wax covered paper doesn't burn easy, best to burn no more than 10 at a time. Never heard of this company, let alone done any business with them but it's the first catalog to arrive for 2021. Early Spring they say (upper right hand corner.
IMG_20201205_201129779.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love seed catalogs........ a little too much. I have a large container of seed. I organized seeds a few days ago, I could start my own seed company. I'll be planting a LOT of seeds for 2021, to see if they are even viable.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just sent off my order for seed potatoes. They are uber expensive if you order from a catalog. But, I want what I want. This year, I'm planting (again) Magic Molly. And, trying Ama Rosa and Austrian Crescent. The latter 2 are fingerlings, and Magic Molly is also considered a fingerling, though it can grow pretty big. Fedco is my "go to". They won't play with Monsanto, have signed OSSI pledge, and participate in copy left programs. Also, they indicate the type of source of all of their seeds, and test a lot of their seed for GMO. All of these details are important to me, in choosing who I give my money to.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just sent off my order for seed potatoes. They are uber expensive if you order from a catalog. But, I want what I want. This year, I'm planting (again) Magic Molly. And, trying Ama Rosa and Austrian Crescent. The latter 2 are fingerlings, and Magic Molly is also considered a fingerling, though it can grow pretty big. Fedco is my "go to". They won't play with Monsanto, have signed OSSI pledge, and participate in copy left programs. Also, they indicate the type of source of all of their seeds, and test a lot of their seed for GMO. All of these details are important to me, in choosing who I give my money to.

They should be dirt cheap considering they are burying millions of lbs of haversted potatoes because the "prosessed" market all but dried up. Because of state government COVID restrictions on restaurants. I watched a news article on it potato growers need 5.00 a bushel to break even, the market price dropped from a high of 15.00 a bushel to a low 3.00 a bushel that is if you can get a buyer at all.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
How very sad. And more fulfillment of prophecy. I find it astounding how much covid fits in with fulfilling those prophecies. Setting up for world wide famine here, and all at the hands of man.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There was recently a HUGE giveaway of potatoes for those wanting, plus to food banks in this area. They were getting $3.57 for 5# of russets at Wally World this week. There is no doubt that the Covid shutdowns have created processing, transportation and sales problems for everyone across the country. I don't see famine but, certainly longer lines at food banks and shelters. There are many who cannot pay for food! No jobs. Many won't have a home at this rate. It is a sad situation.

I will garden large, can, freeze, etc. Always do a good amount but, more this year as family, friends and neighbors or others may need an assist in 2021.

Have a lot of seed but, still loved to browse the catalogs. Like to try something new sometimes. This yr it will be those banana squash from Bay.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I added 25% to my garden footprint last season. It produced poorly, more from neglect than for any other reason. The soil in that new section is heavy clay, full of rocks, lacking nutrition. But, the work done last year is a step forward towards turning it into a productive garden. Next season, I intent to move my pole beans to that area, extend the adjacent raised beds into that area, and build the soil with lots of good compost material, chicken manure, and other goodies. May do some lasagna style to extend those raised beds.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
and I thought I was the crazy one ordering my seed and chick catalogs. I want some new flowers and herbs this year. I pretty much always grow the same vegies, but might add something new.

Latest posts