Seed Catologs

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I order and get tons of catalogs, but mostly just for browsing and getting ideas for future possibilities.
Once I did order from Territorial seeds of most things we eat because I wanted to save my own seeds from year to year and they had alot of open pollinated varieties and similar climate. I'm not sure if it was me or the seed, but most failed that year and I probably won't buy mail order again :rant -atleast for a few years. I'm trying to grow from saved seeds for several reasons. Some being cost and just in case SHTF and can't get any from other sources. So I usually try to get heirloom/open pollinated varieties and hoping none are GM's :fl
Last year Walmart here had seeds .20 pk and Dollar Store too, though not as much selection and mostly flowers. I ended up buying most from Walmart to stock up on more difficult things like biennials (carrots, cabbage, etc). Other specialty types I bought from local hardware store (great garden section) seeds from local seed supplier (Ed Hume seeds).
I'm also experiementing with store bought produce seeds. Slice cucumber (will try this year), dry beans-these grew great last year and I was so excited with the success :celebrate that I forgot to save the seeds for this years planting and we ate them :he so now I'm back to square one on that.

And another thought.....early last year DH scored a huge bag of seeds at a garage sale. Must have been nearly 100 packs, mostly cold weather stuff like cabbage, kohlirabi, beets, turnips, rutabagas :sick , and some herbs and asian varieties. I had kept them in the garden shed and the *&^%% rats got into it and ate or dumped most of them :somad The seeds were old-over 10 years, so I wasn't sure if anything would grow, but the few I could salvage I just tossed into an area and THEY GREW. Well about half of them did anyway.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is the list of companies I found online that are supposedly either owned by Monsanto, or their seeds or some of their seeds are supplied by Monsanto...

I know that Territorial will send you a list of which of their seeds come from Monsanto if you request it.

* Territorial Seeds
* Totally Tomato
* Vermont Bean Seed Co.
* Burpee
* Cook's Garden
* Johnny's Seeds
* Earl May Seed
* Gardens Alive
* Lindenberg Seeds
* Mountain Valley Seed
* Park Seed
* T&T Seeds
* Tomato Growers Supply
* Willhite Seed Co.
* Nichol's
* Rupp
* Osborne
* Snow
* Stokes
* Jungs
* R.H. Shumway
* The Vermont Bean Seed Company
* Seeds for the World
* Seymour's Selected Seeds
* HPS
* Roots and Rhizomes
* McClure and Zimmerman Quality Bulb Brokers
* Spring Hill Nurseries
* Breck's Bulbs
* Audubon Workshop
* Flower of the Month Club
* Wayside Gardens
* Park Bulbs
* Park's Countryside Garden

Does anyone know if this is actually true?

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't know if it is true, but it surely narrows choices if staying away from Monsanto. Is there anything NOT touched by Monsanto?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
It is my understanding that the open pollinated seeds (designated OP) are usually not seeds that have been engineered. Although I suppose it is possible that some could be engineered and open-pollinated.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I've been perusing my catalog from Sandhills preservation...
I ordered from them in 2008, skipped 2009 (bought seeds from a store)

They have great quality seeds, all hand picked sorted etc...

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
There is a list of seeds that Monsanto "owns" on this blog , but that was in 2005.