seed startin kit

BirchHatchery

Power Conserver
Reaction score
spring is going to be here soon so i have been looking for a good deal on some biodegradble seed starting kits anyone no of a good deal. I tried the regular styrofoam cups but when i try to take the plant out to put it in the ground the dirt completly falls apart and the rooots are everywere and i never have good luck with them growing. So i am looking for a good peat moss kit that i can cut apart and put directly in the ground

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Oh, I like the toilet paper tube idea... Have to remember that one!
Do you even need to peal them off, or can you just stick them straight into the ground that way?

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use the tp/pt tubes for planting seeds also and just put the tube into the planting hole since it will break down eventually. ;)

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ive found, as long as you dont make "bottoms" for the cardboard tubes and just sit the tube in a tray fill it and have it "open bottom" you can plant them straight in the garden. same goes for the newspaper pots, if you dont make the bottoms on them you can plant them right in the ground, the roots will work down and out quickly long ebfore the tube breaks down, bu they will eventually break down so are safe to plant fully.
same ith the paper, if they have a bottom on them you have to at the least remove the bottom if you want them to do well, the paper breaks down but it can take a while and you dont want to restrict them too much in those first weeks lol.

Snowhunter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Interesting. I hadn't thought of paper towel or tp tubes. I'll start saving some!

I've been saving coke bottles to use for starting seeds. Everything from a 20oz to 2liters. Thinking I should be able to divide the 2 liter bottoms into 4 sections too. Will be doing mine this weekend so I'll try and remember to get pictures.

chickenjoe

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Look up making seed starting cups out of newspaper and flour paste. The paper and flour paste is biogradable.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The toilet paper rolls also help protect the young plants from cutworms.

Niele da Kine

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We would just roll newspaper around the bottom of a wine bottle and fold the edges over. When planting either rip the edges off or unfold them to let the roots out.

This year I just filled a plastic shoe box with potting soil and planted the seeds in it. For some reason, I didn't take pictures of it, dunno why. It was mostly tomatoes. When they got big enough, I just scooped them up with a hand trowel and planted them out in the garden. They were planted on a scoop of "bunny berries" and they seem to be doing well.

The tomatoes were planted from seed about the first week of January. This picture was taken about the last week of February. "Bunny berries" are a really good fertilizer. That's about the only thing used, this is a new garden this year.
IMG_2737.jpg