Seed Vaults anyone ?

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So, I have found a few places to purchase seed vaults. I was wondering if anyone has done this yet and your thoughts on the product your purchased.

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So, there are these web sites and places you can purchase pre packaged , sealed heirloom or organic seeds with the intention storing for bad times. Many are packages of multiple types of seeds and sold to " feed 4 for 1 year" type thing.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have a Seal-a-meal and a freezer so I can put together my own. How much of a premium are you paying for someone else to do it? :hu

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
From what I've seen these seem to be rather "one size fits all", which means they probably don't fit anyone really well. Also pretty expensive IMO. And once they are opened they are no longer a "seed vault". Much better to buy seeds that suit you, your family, and your growing region, and store them properly. And plant them and use them! Storing seeds for later seems like a particularly silly exercise, IMO. (Not that I don't have a stash of my own ;); but thats just because my garden isn't large, and a packet of seeds lasts for rather more than one season)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok, now I know what your talking about. Yes I do have some seeds I bought sealed in a #10 can in my deep freezer. Like the others said they age generic and I am not sure if they are even productive in my area.

I also have seen heirloom seeds sold this way. Small and huge batches with comparable prices.

I think if you start buying heirloom seeds or just seeds that do well in your area you will be just as well off. I have a bucket with all my leftover seeds from the past few years. Probably just as good.

That "feed for 1 year" statement is so misleading. There are so many things that could go wrong.

gina

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When I looked into seed vaults, I noticed that I would have a hard time growing some of them, or they seemed redundant. I don't know if I want four kinds of squash. :hu Anyway, I found a place that sells seeds meant for my climate, including a kind of corn that has even been grown in Siberia, and watermelon that does well here. The farm is in Acme, WA. Not to be critical, but seed vaults seem to be something that people buy, put away, and don't know how to use. If it was "Mad Max" circumstances, could these people actually grow anything? I really need to learn how to store seeds, so I'm not one to talk... :hide

http://www.uprisingorganics.com/index.php <-looks cool, but expensive.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I put together my own seed vault.

I can't purchase from those kind of companies cause I am at high altitude and short growing season so I want seeds developed for those conditions.

My "seed vault" is in a couple of ziplock bags in my frige, but really Ive read that you can keep them anywhere as long as its dry and out of the light.

I didn't know you could freeze seed? I would worry about freezer burn after a time.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
That's where the seal-a-meal comes in. I really does a good job preventing freezer burn.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had some beans once, second generation from plants that a university grew from beans that were found in a pot deep in an anasazi cave.... now talk about vault preservation!