Seeding for the Freedom Rangers

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hey all, my dh and I fenced off an area for the Freedom Rangers. I would like to seed it and will water to grow greens for the chickens. I am trying to decied what to sow.

Any suggestions???

G

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I know they make specific seed blends for chickens. Do you already have seed on hand or are you going to go shopping?

I would think clover, chickweed, comfrey, sunflower, beets (for the greens), etc... would be very popular with the chickens.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well I was hoping to get away with using what I have in storage. Organic wheat, corn, sorghum. I even bought some Amaranth. I need to get your input on growing that Zilla. I am thinking that whatever it is it's going to be gone before maturity. So not sure what my best bet is.

I planted some giant sunflowers but they will not be ready in time.

I wonder if my feed store carries something specific like you say. I guess since I am watering whatever is native will be growing as well.

:hu

Just thinking....

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Amaranth is looking to be a pretty easy plant to grow. The Love Lies Bleeding I planted in going gangbusters. I even took some that were crowded and transplanted them without issue. They dropped for about an hour and sprang back to life. I have given the ducks a few leaves here and there and they like them. I also let all the wild lambsquarters go nuts in the back yard. I even picked leaves for myself and cooked it with some spinach for a quiche (it's related to amaranth).

Just go ahead and use what you have or look for good sales. I have noticed discounts and clearance prices on seeds starting to pop up. But overall, if it is edible and green, chickens aren't going to be too picky. This would be a good way to clean older seed out of your stash to make room for more fresh seed :D

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I 've noticed my chickens and ducks eatting the leaves of the carrot tops, beet leaves, . I have sunflowers drooping and the ones the chickens can reach they are pecking the seeds out.. I have arugula that reseeded in a planter and they are doing a tap dance on it in the mornings eating it.. I had to move my pot of sedum as they found it and loved it. LOL..

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Your chickens eat your carrot tops? I can't get anything or anyone to eat carrot tops.

I give almost everything else to the chickens. I also have sunflowers planted but they are a long ways from being ready.

The gate is going up on the meatie run today. I am hoping to either till or just water really well and then get some stuff seeded this week.

g