Self-sufficient/preparedness living--Where to start?

BeccaJoVon

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'm such a disorganized mess! I want to begin self-sufficient/preparedness living, but I don't know where to begin. I've tried to do a few things, like buy some sheep, chickens, and ducks. I also started a small garden but the fowl have eaten everything except some garlic, tomatoes and potatoes. Do you have a Preparedness 101 Top 10 Things To Do First list?

Thanks!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
My number one was stock the pantry. Two was hunt and fish. Three was livestock, WITH good fencing for the garden areas. You have to have a good foundation to build off of. Build your foundation first, then the others will fall into place. Sorry you're having troubles and getting frustrated. :hugs Hang in there. It takes time to figure out what works best for your own family!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I may be able to help with that. I was thinking about this a few weeks ago. I am going to give you my top five things to do first and in order. Then five principles you need to remember. I hope it helps!

TO DO
1. Take a month or more if need be to analyze your specific needs. This includes: vegetables, meats, dairy, household items, fruits, grain products, and maybe even household utilities. Write this stuff down, and organize it. How much you eat of it, use of it, etc.
2. After you see what you need to make or produce, always start with the vegetable/fruit side of it. Plants are the foundation of agriculture, and the makeup of most meals. Plant what you eat, and eat what you plant. If you don't like cabbage, then don't plant it. Plan a small garden, and you can always expand it. This is also the time to think in the long term for fruits and vegetable that take longer to start production. For example apple trees, strawberry beds, or blueberry bushes. Again, plant what you will eat.
3. Next learn how to preserve those foods, and research it before you do. Preserve how you will eat it, and how it fits into your storage plan. (This also the time you start making some of your home products like bread, cleaners, or maybe even soaps). Like I don't recommend freezing foods if you are preparing for a doomsday scenario. Electricity is always the first utility to go.
4. Now that your orchard and berry patches are going and you are becoming comfortable with gardening. NOW is when you take on the animals, and start small like we did. We started with a hive of honeybees and 10 chickens. Learn the ropes of those animals before you expand to larger animals. Learn how to incorporate the chickens into the garden. In expensive black netting works great for locking them out, and some old tobacco sticks, you have yourself a chicken proof fence. Then when you are done harvesting, let them have it all.
5. When you have the small animals incorporated and all is running smoothly to a degree. Now you add more animals, we added a few rabbits that formed the basis of a meat rabbit breeding hutch. We also added the ducks here as well, which we use for pest control, eggs, and occasionally the extra drake is harvested. This is also when some people add Dairy Goats, but I was not set up for her and we sold her. We may try it again one day but for now we are just adding more Small Animals like Turkeys, Geese, etc.

Just take it in stages, going in to fast will usually, if not always end up in Homestead Burnout.

TO REMEMBER
1. PATIENCE. It is a learning process, you cannot plant some seeds and expect a bountiful harvest. It takes time, learning, and patience to do anything successfully.
2. COOPERATION. This applies to everything, make the animals cooperate with garden. Through after season pest control, and fertilizer from their droppings. This also goes with you and your family. Everyone needs to cooperate to make it work. YOU cannot do it all, neither can I, or anyone else here.
3. HAVE A GOAL. Just going into it with no focus, will make you crash and burn. Make your goal to be SS, and press it hard.
4. REUSE. Never let anything go to waste! Compost those tater peelings, feed the chickens that stale bread, etc. I think you see where I was going with that :)

I hope this helps, and best of luck to you. :)

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
I may be able to help with that. I was thinking about this a few weeks ago. I am going to give you my top five things to do first and in order. Then five principles you need to remember. I hope it helps!

TO DO
1. Take a month or more if need be to analyze your specific needs. This includes: vegetables, meats, dairy, household items, fruits, grain products, and maybe even household utilities. Write this stuff down, and organize it. How much you eat of it, use of it, etc.
2. After you see what you need to make or produce, always start with the vegetable/fruit side of it. Plants are the foundation of agriculture, and the makeup of most meals. Plant what you eat, and eat what you plant. If you don't like cabbage, then don't plant it. Plan a small garden, and you can always expand it. This is also the time to think in the long term for fruits and vegetable that take longer to start production. For example apple trees, strawberry beds, or blueberry bushes. Again, plant what you will eat.
3. Next learn how to preserve those foods, and research it before you do. Preserve how you will eat it, and how it fits into your storage plan. (This also the time you start making some of your home products like bread, cleaners, or maybe even soaps). Like I don't recommend freezing foods if you are preparing for a doomsday scenario. Electricity is always the first utility to go.
4. Now that your orchard and berry patches are going and you are becoming comfortable with gardening. NOW is when you take on the animals, and start small like we did. We started with a hive of honeybees and 10 chickens. Learn the ropes of those animals before you expand to larger animals. Learn how to incorporate the chickens into the garden. In expensive black netting works great for locking them out, and some old tobacco sticks, you have yourself a chicken proof fence. Then when you are done harvesting, let them have it all.
5. When you have the small animals incorporated and all is running smoothly to a degree. Now you add more animals, we added a few rabbits that formed the basis of a meat rabbit breeding hutch. We also added the ducks here as well, which we use for pest control, eggs, and occasionally the extra drake is harvested. This is also when some people add Dairy Goats, but I was not set up for her and we sold her. We may try it again one day but for now we are just adding more Small Animals like Turkeys, Geese, etc.

Just take it in stages, going in to fast will usually, if not always end up in Homestead Burnout.

TO REMEMBER
1. PATIENCE. It is a learning process, you cannot plant some seeds and expect a bountiful harvest. It takes time, learning, and patience to do anything successfully.
2. COOPERATION. This applies to everything, make the animals cooperate with garden. Through after season pest control, and fertilizer from their droppings. This also goes with you and your family. Everyone needs to cooperate to make it work. YOU cannot do it all, neither can I, or anyone else here.
3. HAVE A GOAL. Just going into it with no focus, will make you crash and burn. Make your goal to be SS, and press it hard.
4. REUSE. Never let anything go to waste! Compost those tater peelings, feed the chickens that stale bread, etc. I think you see where I was going with that :)

I hope this helps, and best of luck to you. :)
Great post BB! I agree 100%
I TRY to remember what someone told me years ago about a different situation 'You're pants may feel like they're on fire, but if you run around all willy-nilly, you won't accomplish a (darn) thing!' (edited for content :lol: )

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I agree with doing just a few things at a time. When you know what you are doing and can handle those, then go onto the next. Also research your next projects before starting, and read, read, read. Don't be afrade to ask questions.

BeccaJoVon

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks for the great advice! Your posts have caused me to realize that my first mistakes are trying to do too much too fast and having no patience! I want to start today and have it all completed by yesterday.

BarredBuff, thanks so much for your post. I'm going to print it out, study it, and work really hard on getting organized. As it stands, I should be able to take what we have already acquired and get it cleaned up and organized by this time next year.

Thanks again!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm still trying to get what I have organized and easy to manage! So, don't feel bad. After promising me for 2 years that he was going to build me a coop and a run for my chickens, hubby finally got enough of it done over the weekend that I was able to get my birds in it today!

You'll also find that your plans can change as time goes on. As much as I'd like to do more w/the chickens, for right now, I don't have the room to do what I'd like, so I've had to change. Of course, we ever move, the plan will get changed again! :lol:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
My number one was stock the pantry. Two was hunt and fish. Three was livestock, WITH good fencing for the garden areas. You have to have a good foundation to build off of. Build your foundation first, then the others will fall into place. Sorry you're having troubles and getting frustrated. :hugs Hang in there. It takes time to figure out what works best for your own family!
What this and BB said....
I'd add:
- Experiment, try something new - this year I'm growing kidney beans and turnips for the first time
- Ask questions and realize no one person is going to have the perfect "answer" for your situation (needs, abilities, soil, climate, etc)
- Don't despair, this is a journey, not a destination
- It's going to take time and $$$ to build up your supplies/tools, look for items that multi-purpose well, particularly in the kitchen. A stand-mixer that has grinding attachments, for example.
- Sometimes, high-quality, value-add items can be pricey. Don't go cheap for the long term, though you make have to for the short term. A good dehydrator comes to mind.

Finally, when the chickens eat the ripe tomatoes just before you're ready to can them, look for options, such as a local farm market to get end-of-day discount sales.

You start with your desires, carry through with your expanding skills, and are only limited by your imagination.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Yeah FJ added something I meant to incorporate into it, don't be afraid to try new things. I think this more or less (for me anyways) should be directed to meat production. Sometimes homesteaders are not equipped to grow out a beef calf, two hogs, etc. This is us. That is why I think small animals are indispensable on a homestead, rabbits are the most economical and healthiest meat one can raise. I like it. I haven't been able to slaughter any of ours yet due to the shear learning experience this all is :p But they are good animals to have, and you can make pelts from the hides to use in one thing or another.

We do however buy a grass fed half beef from a friend, and will be getting a pig already killed as well. At a VERY nice cost.