Self sustaining power

samwhich

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post. Hopefully this will spark some interesting conversation!

This question has been bugging me for about 7-8 years... Why would this not work: (imagine this system all connected together)

A 12volt battery bank (for house/motor home) connecting to a --> 12v Power Inverter --> powering a 60watt Pedestal Fan Motor (1300 rpm) which turns a --> Bosche Car Alternator --> providing energy back into battery bank.

My thought pattern here is that more energy is being added to the battery bank than what the fan is withdrawing.

I use to have a small bus with a 240v 300w sound system + DJ equipment running off a 600watt power inverter connected to a small battery bank. With the bus idling and batteries maintaining charge, I could continue to play my music until I ran out of diesel....i assume (never tested)

Why would the above scenario work? What have I missed?

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My question is whether the fan motor has the torque to turn the alternator? You would lose power due to I2R losses and from friction. Because of those losses you would eventually run out of juice in your battery bank.

Just my thoughts

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
samwhich said:
Hi, this is my first post. Hopefully this will spark some interesting conversation!

This question has been bugging me for about 7-8 years... Why would this not work: (imagine this system all connected together)

A 12volt battery bank (for house/motor home) connecting to a --> 12v Power Inverter --> powering a 60watt Pedestal Fan Motor (1300 rpm) which turns a --> Bosche Car Alternator --> providing energy back into battery bank.

My thought pattern here is that more energy is being added to the battery bank than what the fan is withdrawing.

I use to have a small bus with a 240v 300w sound system + DJ equipment running off a 600watt power inverter connected to a small battery bank. With the bus idling and batteries maintaining charge, I could continue to play my music until I ran out of diesel....i assume (never tested)

Why would the above scenario work? What have I missed?
With your bus you were putting energy into the sysiem in the furm of diesel. Where Is your input into the`first system? That battery is going to run down due to losses within the system you don't get something for free,

jeffreydominic

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
The dynamo model that would explain the earths persistent magnetism. If we had a material that could conduct electricity a thousand times better than copper, the system would indeed yield a self-sustaining current.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
jeffreydominic said:
The dynamo model that would explain the earths persistent magnetism. If we had a material that could conduct electricity a thousand times better than copper, the system would indeed yield a self-sustaining current.
Have you heard of Superconductors? Hurry build a working model and become rich!

merlinraj

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
A self-sustaining power module that combines the technologies of radioactivity with photovoltaic cells to produce an electrical power supply having a useful life of over ten years. The radioactive source is a tritium capsule that interfaces with the receptor surface of the photovoltaic cell.The capsule has inside surfaces that are coated with a phosphor and is filled with tritium gas. The tritium gas produces beta particles that bombard the phosphor causing the phosphor to luminesce and produce photons. The photons, in turn, strike and cause the photovoltaic cell to generate a current flow that is then applied, via a pair of electrtodes to an external load.