selling homemade kombucha?

kitchwitch

Power Conserver
Reaction score
does anyone sell their kombucha? I know that people sell extra SCOBYs, but what are the legalities of selling the drink itself? I've been making mine for several months and I always have a LOT in the house because I'm the only one who drinks it. Since I will have a stall at the farmer's market this year I was wondering if I might be able to sell it?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
The FDA did not recognize it as a food or a drug in the past. But with the new laws on its PH and Alcohol levels, that may have changed.
You will have to dig around on the FDA and USDA sites.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne said:
What in the world is Kombucha? From your posts, it must be a drink, but it sounds like some kind of alien vegetable.
Its easy to make! You pick one your boogies and stick it in a mix or vinegar and rotten juice. Its spreads and makes a mother which you get a scoby from. Highly nutritious! Little salty from your boogies growing.

:lol: :gig

I'm joking :p An old forum member calls there's "booger" so I was playing off that. Its a fermented drink NOT made out of your boogies.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
MsPony said:
Marianne said:
What in the world is Kombucha? From your posts, it must be a drink, but it sounds like some kind of alien vegetable.
Its easy to make! You pick one your boogies and stick it in a mix or vinegar and rotten juice. Its spreads and makes a mother which you get a scoby from. Highly nutritious! Little salty from your boogies growing.

:lol: :gig

I'm joking :p An old forum member calls there's "booger" so I was playing off that. Its a fermented drink NOT made out of your boogies.
MSPONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :old

:gig

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:lol:

It reminds me of this one time, my manager had her 5 month old baby in the back and I saw her old professor at the store and asked him if he had seen her baby. He went into this discussion about something looking like an alien fetus like on some show, blah blah. I was kind of offended and in shock naturally! Babies can be gross, but Sophie was beautiful since the day she came out (like, beautiful.) Turns out he was talking about her *other baby*, her siamese twin guppy :gig

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
And don't ask my sick, tired brain how mother kombuchas = fetal alien things.

But to answer your question, check USDA regs, there were recalls recently on kombuchas nation wide.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:lol:

I had scrolled down just far enough to read the booger part of MsPony's post. Holy Mama! Someone wanted to sell their fermented boogers??? Sure woke me up!

Thanks for the info and thanks for the laugh!:lol: