Selling pickled eggs.

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So, we are getting about 5 dozen eggs a day now. So much so I have started pickling eggs every other day. We have a gal that is buying all we have once a week for 2.00 a dozen, but there is no room in my fridge for waiting that long. Last week I was talking to a guy that was here to buy eggs and had to excuse myself to run in and check the canners. Upon my return, he asked what I was canning. I laughed heartily and said.. 'well, eggs" he bought 4 quart jars at 6 bucks a piece on the spot, and a few jars of apple honey and a few jars of apple pie filling. Since, he has sent us several other folks for pickled eggs and bless their hearts, they are bringing me jars!

I am now selling more pickled eggs than fresh. I have checked the local laws and it seems I can CMA by selling the pretty wax embossed seal that happens to contain pickled eggs. I know that pickling eggs can be a touchy subject for the fearful. I have to admit, I am a bit fearful myself now that its the general public and not just me and my family... but... we are turning a really nice profit. In just a week, we have paid for feed, gotten the insulation and vial siding for the coop and managed to put a bit back for the turkeys. Among my worries, my sweet husband has sold us out of strawberry preserves and now we have none for us :lol:

And.. I quit smoking !
I feel so blessed. This life has provided so much and now its provided satisfaction as well, something I only dreamed of.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
:thumbsup

I have always wanted to can banty eggs! They seem like they would be the perfect pop in your mouth size!

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
""I have checked the local laws and it seems I can CMA by selling the pretty wax embossed seal that happens to contain pickled eggs.""

I am confused, what???? CMA?

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dipence71 said:
""I have checked the local laws and it seems I can CMA by selling the pretty wax embossed seal that happens to contain pickled eggs.""

Cover My A** :D

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Rebecka said:
dipence71 said:

Cover My A** :D
Thanks for clearing that up because I was also wondering what that meant.

walnuthollow

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That's great. It sounds like you've got a nice little business there. Do you put beets in with your eggs or do you sell just the pickled eggs? And please do tell us how to can them.....please.... :fl

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Canned Pickled Eggs from The Encyclopedia of Country Living (10th Ed), Carla Emery

Fill a sterilized quart jar with hard-boiled, peeled, cooled eggs. (You can fit about a dozen eggs in per quart) Add to the eggs in the jar, 1 sprig of dill and 1 t. peppercorns. In an enamel or other noncorrosive pan, combine, for each quart of eggs you are canning, 3 c. white vinegar and 2 T. sugar. Bring the solution to a boil and simmer 5 minutes, then pour hot liquid over eggs and spices to within 1/2 inch of the jar's top. Put on the lid and seal it. Process inboiling water bath 20 minutes.

I of course jack with the spices. I have also used the base for pickled beets as well and that works out very well. Sadly, I just cant keep them around long enough to find out what kind of shelf life they have :lol:

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I too have been selling pickled eggs. I looked at Carla Emory's recipe but my husband said my batch had rubbery whites. So now I use a recipe with beets and cool the brine and sell as a refrigerated product. I only sell to my husband's work buddies, but $6.50 a jar beats the **** out of $1.50 a dozen. Sure helps the girls pay for themselves. My husband is a pickled egg fanatic but will do without if I can sell them.