Sheep vs goats

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I raised and showed dairy goats (mainly Saanens) almost all of my childhood, so I know all about what they are, the pros and cons, and so forth. I do not have any goats myself, but my mom and one sister do have goats still (my beloved herd died from accidental poisoning, they got into some prairie dog poison in my grandpa's truck, when I was in college and I've never had any since).

I am curious as to the differences/similarities between sheep and goats, because I've played with the idea of getting some sheep, and maybe some more goats- though I am reluctant, because goats ar hard to contain LOL Are sheep as hard to contain as goats? Are they as sweet and friendly, and do the bottle babies attach to you like a goat does? Also, I've heard of some sheep being good for milk- what breeds, are they still good wool producers, and how much milk do they produce?

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i have my goats and love them. i also had sheep, but didnt care as much for them. for all i was feeding them and what i was going to get from them, it just didnt add up. and my goats call to me as soon as the lights come on, and they come to get their lovings. the sheep stood on the far side and staired at me. the sheep also cant have something in the goat feed, so you have to buy the sheep feed and here at least it is quite a bit more expensive.

that is just my oppinion and you may get sheep and love them. please check with others on the subject.

also, i use cattle panels for fencing and have never had a sheep or goat get loose.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it could be copper in the feed. I know sheep can't have horse feed for that reason.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We borrowed some dwarf Nigerians from the neighbor. It was a win/win - I wanted some organic weed control and it saved her some pasture for her boer goats. Well, I got pretty attached to the little critters, so now they're ours.

Originally we were going to keep them just for the warm months, so a quick shelter/feeding area with straw bales, pallets, etc worked. We have electric fencing around our couple of acres. It's been a long time since we've had an escapee. I'll vote for the goats.

I never have been around sheep.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had both when I was in school and I prefer the goats. You also would have the expense of shearing sheep but if you want the wool that's a plus.

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have goats and LOVE them. I cannot imagine anything sweeter. We live down the road from a sheep farmer though. They have theirs as a business so not as much attatchment but even they though that goats were easier. The younger said it was discouraging at times because sheep can be a bit fragile. Not sure how accurate that is since he was warning me off getting any sheep since I had just cried a good bit over my baby goat that was dying. They tried to help it but....anywho. Thats what I know of the two. Personally I find goats so easy to take care of now. Just cute little walking stomachs.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
a bottle fed lamb can be quite sweet however they are simply not as personable as goats even then, as they mature they usually become more flock central and you just become the person who brings the feed. as adults they dont seem to be neer as interested in human interaction as a goat raised the same way.

if you want dairy sheep youll want east fresians...
like with all females when their bodies go into milk productio the nutrients go into the milk and thus breeds bred specifically for dairy (just as breeds bred specifically for meat) will Not have the kind of fleece you would be able to sell, but for personal use youd get some wool at least.

feed/ground would also play a desicion in my choice...I have alot of brush but not much pasture, so sheep didnt make as much sense as goats.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I think Katahdins outshine any goat or other sheep breed for sweetness, flocking instinct and are even milky enough to make a milking sheep. I'd research the breed before deciding on your choice. Easy to keep, fatten on cheap hay and grass, love browse also and are sweet and moochy, docile and easy to work.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
but their "wool" (i knwo there hair sheep lol) doesnt work for spinning...least by hand (ive tried, its just too coarse once cleaned.) so if having wool is the big raw to having sheep they wouldt work for that.

i like shetlands for pasture ornaments and woo and they can be milked, but they tend to be a little more flighty. (however VERY hardy/self sufficient)
im thinking about sheep too and shetlands and california reds and CVM's are on my list...however im kinda thinking if i want fiber i shoudl go with llama or aplaca lol.