Shelling peas grown on corn plants

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I finished up picking corn yesterday and left the corn plants standing. I had a "thought" <--- (sometimes my thoughts can be dangerous.) But I thought I would weed out the corn rows and sow shelling peas at the base of the corn plants for them to climb the corn plants for a fall harvest of peas.

I would let the peas grow until they die off then harvest the peas before hard frost sets in.

Has anyone grown peas in a corn patch like this before?

I'm in southern IL zone USDA Hardiness Zone 6B, my average first frost is October 11 - 20.

What would be a good target date for sowing and any recommended heirloom variety? I was thinking of sowing green arrow which has a 68 day maturity but I know they'll need longer than that as the days get shorter and the sun heads south for the winter.

Never grown peas for fall harvest before always spring harvest.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I grew butterbeans on corn stalks before. I planted the butterbeans several weeks after planting the corn. The corn was Daymon Morgan's Kentucky Butcher corn, a strong heirloom corn that grew over 12 feet tall. All was going well until the corn stalks died and the weight of the bean vines made the stalks fall over. We wound up pounding T-posts in and running string to get the bean vines off the ground. It was a mess.

Now I pound in several T-posts, run hay string for a trellis and grow bean vines on it. Corn gets nitrogen from chicken manure tea in a separate patch from the beans. I guess you could plant beans in a patch, then plant corn there the following year. Cut the bean vines off at the ground instead of pulling them up, you want the roots in the ground to decompose to take advantage of the nitrogen nodules on them.

https://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/me-and-the-corn.13660/

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Kind of figured corn falling over might be an issue. I still may try it though. My corn is only like 7' tall unlike your 12' good Lord.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got some out in the garden now for cornmeal. It's Hastings Prolific Corn. It's a white dent, good for ear corn and cornmeal. I bought 100 seeds, durn crows pulled some up before I got it covered. It reaches for the sky too. I'm letting it all go dry, it's about time to pick, shuck and dry it out good. I like those old varieties.