Shelling peas

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wish I knew the variety Grandma grew when I was a kid. She bought seed from the local grain co-op and they quit carrying it in the 80s

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here is a comparison from Johnny's select seeds. Has anyone grew maxigolt? I'm sowing early this year hopefully the beginning if February. After this spring that lasted 10 days I didn't even have a spring garden.

Attachments

• peas-shell-snap-comparison-chart.pdf
    303.8 KB · Views: 354

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Purple hull peas! BTW they are not green peas. We call those English peas.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've grown several of the sugar snap varieties - but I don't shell 'em - we eat 'em whole. Usually raw and right there in the garden lol!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I grow over 200 row-feet of peas. I have settled with planting in succession with the first variety being Little Marvel planted before last frost, then Maestro, and Wando last. Wando is the most heat tolerant and extends pea season by a couple weeks.

I tried purple pod peas this past spring. I was hoping for something easier to pick. That they were. very pretty flowers and plants. The texture of the peas was terrible. Not even edible. Grainy and smushy. I like Maestro peas best that are succulent and "pop" when bitten into.