shortages

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm certain "area" shortages are problems for many. Weather currently...and holiday or weather stock up. Plus workers just getting to work in this weather pattern everyone is seeing right now. Brrr!!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Low quality might be because everybody got the good stuff first....doesn't excuse the prices though. :(
Quality has been down for a while. 🙁 The tiny broccoli crowns pic was from a couple weeks ago. MI celery is used up and the CA celery is 1/3 to 1/2 the size. The price is lower, but not proportionately. I'm glad I dehydrated some celery, wish I had put up more...

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I use celery seed in some things. Can NOT stand the texture of celery... just can't manage it but like the flavor in some things. I use celery seed in my coleslaw sometimes too....
Read somewhere that drinking celery juice is supposed to help with weight loss... trying to find maybe some capsules as I cannot manage that much of a taste of celery.... my mom used to love to eat it.... it just does not "work" for me... like some people with the texture of mushrooms or okra....

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
drinking celery juice is supposed to help with weight loss... trying to find maybe some capsules as I
Hear vinegar does, too. Better than celery for taste and that's saying a lot🤣pickled beets??
About only way I eat celery is some in soup, occasionally....or potato salad made by someone else🤨

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've grown celery before. I've had to sow indoors during winter because it's a cool weather crop that grows very slowly. It does well as long as it stays cool, but suffers in heat. You also have to harden it off by dehydration (don't water it) for a minimum of 2 weeks. Then set it out in the garden and water normally.

P.S. Rabbits absolutely love celery and will dig under a fence to get to it 😂

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I use celery seed in some things. Can NOT stand the texture of celery... just can't manage it but like the flavor in some things. I use celery seed in my coleslaw sometimes too....
Read somewhere that drinking celery juice is supposed to help with weight loss... trying to find maybe some capsules as I cannot manage that much of a taste of celery.... my mom used to love to eat it.... it just does not "work" for me... like some people with the texture of mushrooms or okra....

so you probably are not much on the other crunchy stalk vegetables either? (like fennel or broccoli or ?) the real weight loss part of celery and many other vegetables are that they are mostly water and not as high calorie as many other foods. if you eat a lot of vegetables before you eat a main course you can often reduce the size of the main course (reducing calories). i don't think celery capsules would really accomplish much other than perhaps a mind-over-matter effect (it reminds you to not eat too much) or a placebo effect. nothing wrong with any of that as long as it works for you. :)

for me it has always been eating too many sweets and not moving enough during the winter so i have to cut calories until spring returns and i can get back outside into the gardens. whatever exercise i can do during the winter is good for me but it just doesn't compare in broad terms to what i get done outside.