shortages

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Around here, with the average gas price of $5.02 a gallon for 87 octane (which is a record BTW). I'm seriously considering buying a Tesla. But someone told me if you buy one Tesla, you'll want another one. If you get two Tesla's chances are pretty high more will show up sooner rather than later.

Pluses
1) Easy startup in all weather conditions
2) 4 wheel drive all terrain
2) Smart
3) Should last about 30 years, with regular maintenance.
4) Easy to clean
5) Comes with plush leather seating
6) Power steering
7) No more wrench turning
8) Runs on grass and water
9) Fewer emissions
10) Waste is considered green

What you think? He's 5 years old and his name is Tesla. I like him, I like him a lot. 😁
Screenshot_20220530-205756~3.png

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Heh heh heh.
My wife snd I am becoming an influence on my cousin's wife. She is concerned about food shortages possibly looming. We are sharing our preserving efforts in a private FB group.

My cousins are used to my aunt canning, but it was just the basics, veggies and tomato based sauces. The meats and complicated recipes are new to them, as is the dehydrating.

It's great fun!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So the "in the know" buyers for suppliers are still alerting to many staples from wheat -- Ukraine war -- and suggesting products from such may be less plentiful and, of course, higher priced. Just prepare to make some bread. 😁. Buy supplies now.

We grow many things, export many, weather has been a bit(h...keep your eyes open. This will hit flour, cereal, cookies, cakes, etc.

I'm good. I'm stocked. Plenty of that once elusive yeast!!

Ya know, I remember when shortages were due to a garden crop doing poorly....or the rabbits ate your beans. A neighbor just gifted some of theirs. A cow shut down, another shared milk. The next year things might be reversed. I like those times. Trying to bring them back! Its love, respect, caring and sharing. :old :idunno:love

Last edited:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Ollie's discount store chain is selling cases of Ball canning jars (all sizes) for $6.99 each. I don't need any more right now, but it was tempting

In a canning group I am in, folks are loading up their trunks and saying plenty is in stock

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have been switching over to maple syrup and honey instead of granulated sugar. I stocked those first - and I can restock from local growers each year.

I have about 10# sugar stored for when DH wants to bake. It will last us a long time.

I'm surprised how much less sugar my family uses now than a few years ago. It's a good change for us!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So that free janky gate made two good 62" gates. It took a while with hand tools and handful of bolts, washers and nuts, but they are done. The right one needs hinges which I have (also salvaged). But I had enough fun for one day. 😂 No matter what I did, the gates would need to be custom anyways. They don't sell 5 foot gates at the farm store.

Before
IMG_20230422_155737569.jpg

After
IMG_20230428_162906526.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
It's going to get interesting. I need to top off more sensitive items. I'm seeing random items out of stock for weeks and months at a time. One brand of ricotta cheese, two V8 products, etc. I have food allergies so I'm trying to stock items I cant substitute.

I saw on a FB group that shortages and prices hikes are regional and scattered. A woman complained that meat proces were very high, but another person 20 miles away had very low meat prices. Shop around, buy local, stay stocked, but no panic. It will recover/stabilize eventually.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You are looking at this wrong. It's not about common sense. These are ideas being promulgated by people who want humans to be wiped off the face of the earth (except for themselves of course, because they are sensitive) There are SO many things wrong with these ideas... what about Seeing Eye dogs, etc? What about vast amounts of the earth that CANNOT support agriculture? The fake meat that Bill Gates is promoting is NOT made from vegetable sources, it appears to be a substance that was real meat at some point in the beginning, but is vat-grown instead of meat from animals, and, just like other recent Untested products, I don't trust it. Particularly since Gates himself has stated that he believes it is necessary to reduce the world human population by a significant percentage, by whatever means necessary.
Why is it these population reduction creeps don't help out by jumping off a high bridge to concrete below and get run over by an 18 wheeler?