Show me you outdoor clothes lines.

DrMom

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Who line dries there clothes? What type of outdoor clothes line do you use? I remember the umbrella type my grandma used and it brings back warm memories.

I have been air drying all laundry or my family of five, spouse, 14 yo girl, 11 and 18 yo boys, for over a year now using indoor drying racks. We have alot of laundry! It works great, with our dry climate. I would like to go with a line type of system for the summer outdoors. I used the racks out side last year, but they don't work well in the wind. I don't care who looks at our underwear. That I think is a silly concern. We do live in the city, on an urban lot. So, we do not have room for the two post type with line run between. I also want something that can be taken down in the winter. What do you use?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I don't dry that much laundry outdoors, because of pollen and allergies....but I do dry some handwashables. I have a cord with loops on each end that I slip over one of the fence posts for our 6' stockade fence and the other end goes on a hook on the house. I put it up and take it down each time I use it, and the same cord has lasted 8 years so far.

:welcome

DrMom

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Wildsky, what type of umbrella line did you get? Durability is an issue. I have found many dry racks that are designed for the occasional hand-washed item, but if you put 4 or 5 pairs of jeans on them several times a week they disintegrate.

Here are links to the two types I'm using. Although I bought the at local stores. In the winter I place them over a heat vent and clothes are dry by the next day.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1JFSDHKE7Y3YGBT32NQT

http://www.amazon.com/Polder-Collap...2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1272553034&sr=8-2

I can get three full load on the two if I'm careful. The Poder one has been put back together many times, I have used it for about a year. I need to make sure heavy stuff is inside and it is balanced. But neither work well even in light wind.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
This is the type I have. Mine is permanent, but you can put a sleeve in the ground for easy removal when not needed.

Tpostpic.jpg

This is a new idea to me. Folds when not being used. Not sure about strength and durability, but it's interesting. Two sizes, two applications.

versaline2.jpg

Broadline.jpg

BTW, welcome to SS! It's a gold mine of information here.

When I was married, I lived in Bountiful, 6 South. Loved it SO much. The mountains after a snow, the romance of downtown. Awesome. Used to go to Crackerbarrel in WVC all the time. I miss their sausage! I better stop or I will get all misty !

Edited to make pictures magically appear.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a huge pulley screwed to the wood frame work outside my laundry room door. The other pulley is about 50 ft away on a metal stake kinda up hill. So I have a revolving line. I obviously start at the knot and push the line away towards the hillside as I clip the clothes on to it. They make these black plastic "S" things with rollers on top and hook on the bottom, this keeps your bottom line from sinking when weighed down.

Works awesome.

gina

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a pulley line too. Goes from my deck to a tree, but my line sinks with clothes on it which is okay, because it is downhill to the tree and the line is straight across. So it can sink a long way before we would ever have a problem.

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have an older center pole with arms type with 4 lines. It's been up at least 15 years and all we have had to do is replace the lines because we leave it up year round. In the winter we dry on several folding drying racks in the house. When the wood burner is running the racks are in the same room. We also set the racks in the spare bedroom. I have 2 large and one medium rack, one I found at a yard sale and the other two we bought at Lehmans. I do have an electric dryer and have used it in an emergency but we prefer line dry.:)

Latest posts