SHTF Waste Management

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score

When systems shut down, garbage accumulates. SHTF solutions tend to rely on trash - mylar wrapped foods, plastic water bottles, etc.

Anything longer than a couple weeks will cause sanitation /rodent /space problems.

What is your short-term (less than a month) and long term (over a year) SHTF trash solution?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I grew up where burn barrel was a common solution to garbage. Usually just paper waste, though I compost much of that now. Yes, I know burning plastic is bad. We actually don't have a lot of plastic waste here. Mostly just the water bottles hubby takes in lunch, and in emergency situation those are more likely to be reused.

If I have to, I can scrape together enough materials to build an outhouse. Probably use some buckets under a platform instead of digging a pit because of our water table. Ash or sawdust in it after each use, cover full buckets with perforated lids, and put them out back somewhere to compost for a year before dumping.

Yard waste isn't an issue. I've piled blackberry cuttings in the autumn and they were decomposed by spring.

Now I'm off to fill up some buckets and the 30 gallon water trough I use for collecting rainwater for the chickens in winter. Big winds are expected tonight and that will let us flush.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Yard waste isnt an issue for me. I use it in the garden. We toss sticks into the goat pasture to compost in place.

My upbringing had exposure to pit toilet, outhouse, and solar composting toilet. So many options!

Plastic food packaging is my #1 concern here. I try to get food in glass or metal. Plastic still adds up.

We produce 2 to 3 13-gallon trash bags per week for 4 people. It collects fast. Very frustrating.

In SHTF situation, DH would burn it.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
dry composting in buckets works well for #2's and you could probably fit a week per bucket per person (at least). #1's are tree watering or used in a garden if possible. all organic scraps would end up in the worm farms as usual. if SHTF there wouldn't be as much plastic waste and everything else that isn't organic would be recycled eventually. metals would take on a lot more value and my guess is that there would be a return of local bottle works too and they'd take broken glass.

at least that is my guess.

reading up on humanure recycling was enlightening (the humanure handbook is usually freely found online and it's a fairly quick read). the problem here is the high water table i just can't store a pile anyplace on our property without it either getting washed out or chances of getting too much rain on it. the composting i do inside is the worm farm and i don't have enough room to compost all of our personal wastes but the septic tank will hold for years so we could probably eventually find someone who'd pump it out to use it on their farm or something like that.

[edit the can was changed to can't]

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a lot of waste right now, cleaning out rooms and around the farm, preparing to move. I got a burn barrel to burn documents. I have a couple of bags per week. Once I get past this and get moved, I'll probably use a burn barrel for most of my waste. I'll have to see how much throw away stuff I have.

I currently buy feed in 50 pound paper bags. There will be feed mills nearby where I can buy in bulk bags and transfer to metal trash cans. A $25 deposit on the bag and take it back each time I buy more.

In a SHTF, I would build an outhouse on skids. My Daddy was raised up very poor, there were no "services" on a farm. He told how the outhouse hole would get full over time, they moved the outhouse and started over.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
John Seymour said that the garbage truck should seldom need to pass on a self-sufficient holding.
What I think more people should strive for is to not create garbage to begin with. I think maybe go with stocking up stuff in mason jars instead of just buying everything in in cans is a start. Keep glass spaghetti sauce, salsa, and pickle jars for canning or to organize your sheds by screwing the lids to the rafters or under a shelf for small items like screws. Cut and reuse rags instead of buy paper towels and toilet paper. Buy stuff used so you can get a better price and less cardboard and plastic.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

When systems shut down, garbage accumulates. SHTF solutions tend to rely on trash - mylar wrapped foods, plastic water bottles, etc.

Anything longer than a couple weeks will cause sanitation /rodent /space problems.

What is your short-term (less than a month) and long term (over a year) SHTF trash solution?
reduce, reuse, compost, and burn whats left.