Sick or injured Rooster ! failing again :( please help

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So, we had to go to town to replace the oven , get new fittings and of course buy more plants and canning jars. Just before we left, I went out and checked on the chickens. Everyone was up and moving around , nobody was acting like there was a problem of any kind at all. Town being town, we were sucked into the time warp and were gone for several hours. When we returned, I checked the chickens, topped off the water and feed and did my usual "run everyone out of the coop" dance to ensure everyone is getting around okay. A handful of them have birth defects to their feet and legs and with their weight rapidly increasing, we just check to make sure everyone can still get around.

Anyway, everyone scrambled out at the sight of my dancing ( you would too btw ) but one of the Bard Rock roosters. He just fell over on his side. When I picked him up , I felt moisture. With further inspection I find that most of the feathers under his wings have been viciously removed. Leaving bloody and seeping wounds. We have an old rabbit nesting box that we put him in with feed and water. I cleaned his wounds, put antibiotic ointment on them then offered him food and water. He ate and drank like a mad chicken. He was absolutely ravenous. We have had other chickens that I have had to isolate and doctor in the same manner , but they were all able to stand on their own. I fear he might be ill as well as injured but I just dont know enough about them to tell when a chicken is sick. With any other animal, if they are eating its a good sign, but I dont know if thats the case with chickens or not.

We have 114 chickens and I do my best to make sure they are all happy and healthy and since I put my foot down about aggression towards me, I have had no further issues. I am really afraid though that I might have missed early signs of illness because there are just so many to keep track of. I *think* it may be just the location of the wounds, that it might hurt him too much to stand.

So, I ask this.. is there something more I can be doing for him? He has his own food and water he can reach without standing, cloth bedding , the weather is really nice and there is no direct sunlight on him. None of the other chickens can get to him.

Also, what should I look for if this is illness related? I simply have no idea of what a sick chicken acts like.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
A while ago I saw a post on BYC - speckledhen had made a sling for her roo and it held him up so he wasn't lying all the time, The sling was made so it could be hung up on something - and let his legs hang out under him.
That might be something to look into!

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
Rebecka said:
With any other animal, if they are eating its a good sign, but I dont know if thats the case with chickens or not.
Yes, that is the case with chickens. If he's eagerly eating, then he's still feeling pretty good except for the injuries.

Also, what should I look for if this is illness related? I simply have no idea of what a sick chicken acts like.
In chickens, illness looks sluggish and sleepy and puffed up.

If he is outside, keep a look-out for maggots. That's something that can keep him from healing up. Keep him inside if you can.

It would be my guess - without being able to see him in person - that whatever animal got to him ate away some muscle, and that's why he can't stand now.

I hope he gets better!

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So I just checked on him again. I think we are going to bring him in. I was thinking the bathtub, but its cast iron and cold even in the summer. I need a place that the cats and dog can't get to him. I dont want him brought in and then stressed because my cats are stalking him.

I got a better look at his injuries this time.. he has been pecked. What got him were the other chickens! :somad I bet it was one of those mean blonde ones! He could have gotten cornered in the coop. I don't know really. He appears to be in good spirits. He visibly perked when he saw me coming ( I bring treats ).

I feel so useless to help him. I mean, I know he has to be in pain. The wounds are .. really yucky. Surly there is something I can do for him? I just want to cuddle him and cry.

I have a heavy layer of ointment on him, so I am hoping that will deter flies. I have lots of sterile gauze and tape, cover the wounds?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
:( I am so sorry!! :hugs I hope he starts to feel better soon.

I am by no means an expert on tending to sick or injured chickens, however I would see it as a very good sign that he is eating and drinking.

Nothing worse than mean blonde girls!! ;)

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
Based on what you're saying, if i were you, i would use a blue kote type product on that wound. Those products are an antiseptic, and they seem to keep flies away, as well as other chickens.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
You could put a towel in a cardboard box and set it in the tub. He'd be warmer and it would be easy to clean.

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay , so he was obviously distraught for being separated from the rest of the flock, so we put him in a smaller cage where he could reach the food and water without moving but still be in the coop. I really wanted him to feel comfortable in the house with me, where I could watch and fuss over him, that just wasn't the case. I swear, it's everything I can do to keep from waking 114 chickens to check in on him. These wounds are really bad. If he is still .. okay, in the morning I think we are taking a trip the the vet. I am pretty sure my sweet husband and FIL think I am nuts for going to this much worry over a meat chicken, but I just can't stand suffering. Sure, we may well eat him in a few months, but he will be healthy and happy and will have known the best life I can provide. Thanks for the support, I really appreciate it. I am obviously very new to this farm thing, but I really hope I never lose my compassion for suffering.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Rebecka said:
Sure, we may well eat him in a few months, but he will be healthy and happy and will have known the best life I can provide.
i was just saying to ofg in my thread about my injured turkey that i always fall in love with the ones i have to doctor... even when i know they were meant to be food. once you start doctoring all sense goes out the window. i hope the poor little man is looking better in the morning.

i had to tell myself several times that sleeping on the bathroom floor next to the tub where my poult is wasn't going to benefit anyone. if you need to wake up 114 chickens to feel better, don't let anyone tell you that isn't ok.

good luck.

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
bibliophile birds, you've brought tears to my eyes. I swear I feel like a total fool here. I just cant stand suffering. It might be my Italian DNA, but I want to hold him and feed him and sing to him and he is good with all of that if we do it in the coop. I have named him Bob and informed the guys he will NOT be on the list of " bad chickens to eat" I feel like such a hypocrite when I say this, but the blonde ones are mean and I don't mind them getting eaten. All of the Bard Rocks have always been very sweet, even when everyone else ( including the Red Rocks) were being *%^#

So, is it obvious I dont have children ? :gig

Latest posts