Sick or injured young turkeys ? big pic

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I posted this on BYC too but I figured I would get faster answers here. I am really worried about these little guys. I fear blackhead disease. I have had them for about 3 weeks. They were in a cage with some young silkies but the male was beating them up. So we took them out about a week ago. I thought he had caused the markings on their heads but its just not gone away. We have not seen mites or anything like that. They dont scratch , that I have seen, but they pretty much stop doing anything they were as soon as they see me. I bring treats often :)
2164581050106743716RaMGLc_fs.jpg

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Really ? They don't have much if any feathers on their heads. The younger turkeys I have have a full head of feathers. So, I am panicking about nothing again ? There's a shocker :lol: You wouldnt happen to have an idea of what breed they might be?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
they have 'fuzz' on their heads, a little, but feathers, not really. They look fine!

They look like a variety of domesticated 'wild', bronze, or something like that..

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
They look 100% normal to me, too.

Remember turkeys grow up to be bald. It does not wait til they are full-grown and then happen overnight ;)

Pat

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, I feel like a total idiot now. Did I mention I am really new to this ?? ;)

I have been reading up on common illness and disease in birds, since we have so many. I wanted to be prepared with knowledge should someone get sick. Seems I made myself paranoid lol