Silkies and Guineas? Help!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We are going to pick up a trio of Silkies tomorrow! I'll have to put them in a small coop temporarily until I finish the big coop. Was going to put the 6 Guineas in the new big coop, but them along came the Silkies……..and y'all know the rest of the story. LOL @Hinotori I could use your help and advice, please!

Can Guineas and Silkies get along with each other? Anybody ever try them together? I know Silkies can't fly, do they need a low hop-on roost or do they roost on the ground? When I build the nest boxes I can place them low enough so the Silkies won't get hurt hopping out of them.

We are getting a white rooster, a white hen and a black hen. So Excited! The Silkies and the Guineas will both be free range in the yard and go in the coop at night. I'm planning on trimming the Guinea feathers so they don't fly up and roost in the trees for owls to pick off.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the Guineas.

Silkies don't do the best with most large fowl chickens. They can't see well and if they have vaulted skulls, there can be gaps in the bone making the brain vulnerable. And we all know how chickens show dominance with head pecking.

Vision issues make silkies very prone to dying by predators since they can't see them coming. I do not free range unless I'm outside. We have hawk and coyote issues here plus neighbor dogs.

My silkies sleep in piles for the most part. Some will sleep on low roosts so you can try. Just don't be surprised if they don't want to. Silkies don't seem to act like other chickens on some things. Even my half silkies who have real feathers and can fly, don't. They act like silkies and not their large fowl mothers.

Latest posts