slammed finger pretty badly- what to do?

stepstephens2

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hey, I slammed my finger in the window right across where the cuticle is... I'm not going to the dr. unless my hand is going to fall off. ( My last trip to the ER cost me $600 AFTER my insurance decided it was only responsible to pay $19.) Half the nail is purplish black and it feels like a lot of pressure around my whole nail. One side of the cuticle is swollen outwards a little too. Does anyone know any special way to treat this other than ice? The damage I did to it looks like I smacked it with a hammer... :hit Thank you SERIOUSLY for any thoughts or advice you may give me on this...

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Um, :hide, as a kid, I remember my dad heating a needle with a lit match and stabbing it through the nail to release the pooled blood. :hide

I never died from it, so it seemed to work, but he always had "unique" solutions to such problems. :D

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ouch! :hugs

I smashed two of mine pretty badly years ago. I did the ice cold water for some time. Later when there was SO much blood building up under the nail, I kind of unfolded a paper clip a bit, heated it up over a candle and gently (and slowly!) pushed it through the nail. It just melted a hole in the nail to let the blood out.
Wipe it off w/ peroxide or antibiotic of your choice (not rubbing alcohol, that will really sting).

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Um, :hide, as a kid, I remember my dad heating a needle with a lit match and stabbing it through the nail to release the pooled blood. :hide

I never died from it, so it seemed to work, but he always had "unique" solutions to such problems. :D
That is exactly what has been done here too.
Make sure the needle is hot when you do it, and it will go easily.
DH says the pain scales back considerably when the pressure is released.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Once I smashed my finger in the same place. It swelled up badly.. So badly my finger could not be kept straight. It was bent, like trying to make a fist. I couldnt use any of my other fingers because the swelling was to bad and made my skin to tight. I just kept my finger on ice until the swelling went down. Then I used popcicle sticks to make my own cast. I just knew it was broke. A broken bone feels different than a bruised bone. It kind of feels like a hollow feeling. Ive broken quiet a few bones, and each time it has felt like that, after the pain from swelling went down..

Just to prove to family it was broke, they didnt believe me, I went to the doctor to have it xrayed.. Yup it was broke. And the only thing they wanted to do to it was remove the tip of my finger.. I said no. So I put the popcicle sticks back on and waited the usual 7-12 weeks for a typical bone to mend.. My finger is fine, but I have less feeling in the tip of it..

Oh and I lost my fingernail.. And my finger turned black. But I was fine..

So ya. I would just ice it.. IF the swelling wont go down.. Then I would resort to the, relieve the pressure trick mentioned above.. Unless you feel a definite break, or rather the bones not where they are supposed to be. THen I wouldnt go to the doc for a broken finger..

stepstephens2

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks! Would it be bad to wrap it up too? Right now I have some calendula cream mixed with clove oil on it... I'm thinking the clove oil might help numb it... but this might be wishful thinking. It's going to take me a couple of hours (and a darvocet) to work up the nerve to do anything with a needle. But you all confirmed what I thought I had heard you were supposed to do.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Don't wait a couple of hours!!! The blood will clot and it will hurt. My DH had this happen and also heated a needle and burned thru the nail and it afforded A LOT of relief. Just make sure not to go into the nail bed.

Hope your finger feels better!

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just smashed my toe (and actually think I asked what to do about it here, too!). Someone recommended soaking it in epsom salts, and that helped a lot! Luckily, I didn't have the pressure build up, so I didn't have to do home surgery on it. :ep