Small engine that has not been started for 4 years, any advice before I pull that starter cord

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have a very nice chipper shredder that has not been started in over 4 years. I was using it in the garden to shred weeds in the fall, and then it got pulled into the barn and parked for the next 4 years. I asked my DH if he put additive in the fuel tank for winter, he said he did. I don't think he did, but he said he did so I left it alone.
I there anything I should do for this machine before I try to start it up? Like empty the gas tank and put fresh gas in it, or add anything to the gas? or anything else anyone can think of.
I know I will flood it when I try to start it, I always do. But, I would eventually get it started in the past. I am just worried that the neglect has damaged the engine in some way.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Carburater and gas lines are what cause most issues to start, after winter. Seems it's the old gas in them, gets sticky? I was told to put additive and run it totally out of gas. :idunno if it has a push it plunger to prime, check that to see if still good.

Wish you luck! May be ok...:fl

Okiepan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Clean the carburetor with carb cleaner , drain old gas , change oil , New spark plug.