Small portable shelter(s)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
What would you use to DIY a small shelter for 2 Silkies? I need to make shelters for garden tunnels. My building skills are extremely limited, and I doubt DH would help with this crazy project.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Something like a cat/dog carrier. Works and no building involved! Light weight, easy to move. As to tunnels, just make a few sectional and move them around as needed. PVC, chicken wire, zip ties....close them at night for predator control. Chickens aren't looking for a way out if some scratching is at foot. 😊

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have made several chicken things...

One tractor/broody spot,

And then a bantam coop, and a duck coop.

I just get all of the trash I have, lay it out on the lawn... see how it will fit together... then screw it together, often with reclaimed or even slightly bent screws.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Areas for between the tunnels for them to hang out in addition to their coop?

Our school farm makes small structures out of PVC and hardware cloth for smaller tractor-ish structures for their roosters. Then they cover them partially with tarps for shade. Are you thinking something like this?

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
With J clips and a pair of J clip pliers, you can make your own cages or caged tunnels.

download (6).jpeg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That’s so funny, I was just looking at chicken tunnel ideas! I have no advice though, I’m a terrible builder😂

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Something like a cat/dog carrier. Works and no building involved! Light weight, easy to move. As to tunnels, just make a few sectional and move them around as needed. PVC, chicken wire, zip ties....close them at night for predator control. Chickens aren't looking for a way out if some scratching is at foot. 😊
that's perfect - I have a bunch of carriers. I had been thinking to put tarp over the tunnel, but I wanted something more crush-proof. Thanks!