Small space gardening

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@rodeogirl mentioned having limited space for a garden at her new home, which made me think of something I've wanted to ask you all about for ages. How to get the most out of a small space when gardening, specifically vegetables.

One brilliant idea I saw for maximising space is growing up, like with some of these pallet planters:

http://blog.gardenloversclub.com/gardens/pallet-planters/

We used go grow potatoes in stacked car tyres, starting with two, filled with compost, or potting mix, we kept stacking and filling tyres as the plants grew, eventually stopping at about 5-6 tyres. By harvest time all you have to do is remove the tyres and pick your taters out of the compost. I've also have some success growing potatoes in smallish storage boxes.

Many vegetables now come in dwarf varieties, which takes up less room than their more traditional ones. Some vegetables can be grown in containers, some in hanging baskets, etc…

What else can be done to maximise a small space?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@sumi - Thanks for starting this thread!

I've heard of lots of ideas - haven't tried all of them ... yet. There are some plants/tree that come in dwarf varieties. Maybe a bush variety watermelon instead of one that eats half your garden. Containers. I am doing some container gardening now. I have about 20 of those big 30 gallon (?) containers that cattle minerals come in. They are big enough to grow lots of regular sized veggies. I've got broccoli and cabbages in some right now, along with leeks, cilantro, and kale. Vertical gardening is very do-able. Most folks have trellised something in the garden. There are some good sites that show using pallets for vertical gardening too. I've not tried it, but would love to hear from someone who has!

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@sumi thanks for tagging me I have seen some really beautiful vertical gardens. I'm thinking about doing a vertical herb garden.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How cute is this? Ya might be able to plant something in the horizontal pallet that could climb up the vertical pallet. :hu Why not? I've been getting a new pallet every time I go to the feed store lately so maybe I can play around and make something similar.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I gardened in beds between our driveway and sidewalk at our old house. I planted flowers in the mix and most people driving down the street never realized it was a vegetable garden. I did take the precaution of planting the tomatoes up by the house! LOL

Broccoli

IMG007.jpg

Squash and basil

IMG259.jpg

Sweet potatoes

IMG453.jpg

Tomatoes, bell peppers and marigolds

IMG568.jpg

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Check out oyr on utube. He's all about trellis and biointensive polycultures