Small steps.

Colored Egg Farmer

Way Too Many Chickens
Reaction score
Well this is a small step for me (probably a big for a few people) but I changed every light bulb in my chicken coop that was being used to CFL lights. Thats 21 light bulbs total that were all regular 40 watts. This should help with the light bill. Now all i have to persuade my parents/grandparents to go cfl with there thousands....yes thousands of regular 40 watts

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We changed the lighting in the foundation barn when we moved in from 100W bulbs (about 10 of them) to CFL flood lights which only use about 20W, huge difference! I have a 100W bulb in the coop only because I need a nice bright light that will also heat up the coop a bit so my water doesn't freeze. I have a 100W bulb in the porch light, just because the CFL's don't provide enough light to light the entire porch up. Otherwise, it's CFL's everywhere here at Lupin Farm.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
GREAT FOR YOU!
that one small step will definitely save power and money!
I changed over the whole house in CFLs not long ago, savings is $28 per month. More than worth it and I cut down on power usage (maybe stop them from building another nuclear plant or something..HA HA)

I can not change my bulbs in my kidding barn. I need incandescent for heat, not light. CFLs don't throw heat. Wish I could but I can't. It isn't many bulbs thank goodness.