Smithfield buy out

fair weather chicken

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
has anyone heard any more about this? last i heard there was a hedge fund that was asking to split up the company as they figured it was worth more that way. any opinions on the sale?

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Never going to eat any pork from the stores anymore. The company looking to buy them has a HORRID track record as far as adding toxins into their food. No thank you.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
fair weather chicken said:
has anyone heard any more about this? last i heard there was a hedge fund that was asking to split up the company as they figured it was worth more that way. any opinions on the sale?
They seem to be doing quite well as is. A fund would have to spend a fortune to get even one seat on the board. Then he coulld suggest a split up which would be turned down as long as they are doing well. The rise of feed prices are a problem but so far they have been ablle to raise Pork prices enough to offset the costs. Now that I have done the research I plan to add the stock to my holdings. They are good now but if a bidding war breaks out the price could skyrocket. Thanks!
Later-I spoke to my broker who told me the "merger" with Shuanghui International is pretty much a done deal waiting only for government approval [USA, china and even the UN must approve the deal] the price could skyrocket because there are 2 other parties that are interested. My broker advised against it because these later bidders almost never win. The merger is supposed to be friendly {means the big wigs will do very very well] not a hostile takeover.
I am sorry if my early post [above] misled anyone. I was just plain wrong [Deb please note] ~gd