Smoking meat

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
My daughter got me an electric smoker for Christmas ! I have had a wood smoker in the past, so let's just say this is a much better idea for me.

I assembled it yesterday, and read up on some recipes, picked one for a pork butt, made the rub, wrapped it overnight in the fridge, and put it on to smoke about 7 this morning.

It never smoked. It got hot, and I have an incredible piece of meat out of it, but it didn't smoke.

Reading the instructions would have been a good idea. You use wood chips, but unlike wood fired smokers, you don't soak them. I am going to try again with dry wood, and placing it a bit closer to the heating element. (Read the comments at the web site, and they all had to do the same thing.)

Anyway, it's a VERY yummy experiment ! I know, because of the nibble spot on the left !

1098_picture_381.jpg

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
oh- Ldy that does look yummy.:drool I also got a smoker for Christmas, mine is propane, and will hold 2-20# turkeys,or a whole lot of other meat. I have been reading up on rub and brine recipes and can't wait to try it.

Good luck and enjoy!!