smoking or Not.......

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well today is day two.....I have not had a cigarette since thurs afternoon. I am not looking for praise or anything. I am asking if anyone else is willing to give up the habit in the name of frugality. It isnt easy. I been trying for a year. I might not even make it this time (it feels right tho ya know?), but I will never give up trying. Actually it is stupid of me to only smoke three cigs a day, isnt it?

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
I am pulling for you, I have an aunt who said "enough" 22 years ago and quit even though my Uncle still smokes. Give it your best and if that doesn't work give it another try.

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
roosmom said:
Actually it is stupid of me to only smoke three cigs a day, isnt it?
DH quit in the name of frugality... waaay back in the day when the price was going up close to $2 a pack. It's only b/c of his stubborn nature! LOL! He said "I'll NEVER pay $2 a pack, that's crazy!" and he didn't!

Anyways, he got down to 2 a day and said the same thing that I quoted you above. So he just stopped cold turkey at that point. It was many years ago obviously, and every now and then he craves a cigarette (during high stress) but has never given in b/c he fears he'll get hooked again. He worked in a nightclub at the time and was surrounded by smokers, so that was hard for him. The smell of smoke now bothers him, go figure.

Don't give up tryin'!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My husband smoked a pack every two days for the last 20 years. He is allmost 40. He was diagnosed with oral cancer this past Dec. After having the first 4 teeth pulled, he had no choice but to quit. His cancer was removed surgically and after he lost 4 more teeth and a good chunk of jaw he is happy he quit.
We all are. The patch was a big help. I know its not cheep but I have had friends try a quit several times but the cravings allways do them in. However you do it. Congratulations!!!!! You and your family will all benefit from your efforts. Gina

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Actually, you are now a former smoker until you don't keep with it. Just picture that you are setting a $5 bill on fire everytime you'd need to smoke a cigarette- think of what you really want to do with that money, plan on doing it, spend time daydreaming about what ever it is you want-.......................... And don't forget to reward yourself a lot with smaller things til then - you are very important right now and deserve anything that makes you feel better. You are an athlete in training- treat yourself as the champion you are. Think what you would do for the best friend you have to help her (or him) quit- then do it for yourself.

Good luck- being healthy is the most frugal thing you can do.

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Great tips above! I forgot to mention that my DH would take the $$ that he typically spent on cigarettes every week, and he set it aside in a vacation envelope. You could do something similar. Like pampering things (massage, manicure,pedicure, splurging things)

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
I've heard it is such a hard thing to quit and I'm proud of you for doing it!!!

One of the biggest things they say to do is to tell everyone you know that you're quitting.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. Today is day three. My mother was over today, smoking. My husband smells like smoke But I am not going to smoke.....anyone with me? lol

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Keep with it!!! Does your family smoke in the house? If so maybe you could ask them to do it outside only. My husband was very respectfull that way. Never around the kids or in the house. And everything of his was washed, nothing worn or smoked in ever goes back in the clothes closet. I think this would be a literal great "fresh" start. Great Job!!!!! gina