So a beekeeper came to my door just now.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
He was looking for work as a roofer! Ever since the giant sign, people have been offering to do it for me. Anyway, once I explained the Habitat was doing the labor, he also mentioned that he was a beek. He lives here south of Fresno, and he has a lot, as in hundreds, of hives for sale. He also has "nuke" hives for sale. They are five --what did he say, slots? layers? I cant' remember. Anyway there are five trays I guess, extra deep. He charges $60 per nuke.

I told him I would mention it here for those in California who might be in the market ! I also told him about that craigs list post I mentioned here the other day. The one with the attic full of bees.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
They are five --what did he say, slots? layers? I cant' remember. Anyway there are five trays I guess, extra deep.
supers maybe? that's what each box (or level) is called. there are deep and shallow supers. they usually have 9 or 10 frames in each super.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
He was looking for work as a roofer! Ever since the giant sign, people have been offering to do it for me. Anyway, once I explained the Habitat was doing the labor, he also mentioned that he was a beek. He lives here south of Fresno, and he has a lot, as in hundreds, of hives for sale. He also has "nuke" hives for sale. They are five --what did he say, slots? layers? I cant' remember. Anyway there are five trays I guess, extra deep. He charges $60 per nuke.

I told him I would mention it here for those in California who might be in the market ! I also told him about that craigs list post I mentioned here the other day. The one with the attic full of bees.
I would assume he is talking about a 5-frame nucleus hive. Wish I could get one!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
That sounds about right. He said $60 was a good price. But what do I know?

He offered me SUCH a deal to do my roof. I buy the materials and he does the work by himself over a month part time and I only pay him $900.

Thankful for Habitat.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What is the deal with cities outlawing bees anyway? Are they trying to slow the progress of killer bees or something?

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
tamlynn said:
very cool. My dh would love bees someday. But they are specifically outlawed for our city.:/
Do they ticket bees for flying in the city? Noise ordinance?? Flying without license?

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
They are already here.

killerbees5.jpg