So how is your year going?

scrambledmess

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We are well into the traditional school year now. I was just wondering how everyone's school year was going.

Has your kids got back into the swing of things?

Are you happy with your curriculum choice for this year or are you already looking for other options for next year?

What has been the best so far this year? What is the worst?

My older kids (grades 4 and 6) are really enjoying their curriculum this year. We are using Oak Meadow for the first time. There are many opportunities for hands on learning.

My DD (grade K) has not responded at all to this curriculum. So we are only using its backbone and have moved on to lapbooks and some online reading programs.

The best for us this year is listening as my DD read a book to grandma on the phone. The worst was ditching her curriculum. Money down the tubes :(

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I will just say that I am jealous of all of you home schoolers! For many reasons we have our kids in public school...although my two high schoolers are home today due to a 'THREAT' on campus today that has not been very well clarified by the powers that be :barnie

I hope that in the near future I can convince hubby to jump on board and make a change....especially for my 7th & 1st graders.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nicole is in pre-school 3 rd year class. She loves it and said today on the way home from school----I love school Mommy--we have fun and I love Liberty (one of the other little girls, nice kid)----So all that made me smile.

I will be doing regular school. No homeschooling for me (at this point, but ya never know the future)

I have no battles with regular school....I did it and had a good time (even though as a kid I wasn't big on school..LOL..straight As without trying so I was very lucky...easy for me) and I hope that is the way for Nicole.

Hats off to you homeschoolers...but honestly I don't know if I could have my kid around 24/7...I like some break time..LOL-LOL

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I was amused, and felt kind of validated by ;), a conversation this morning with someone who I know as the mom of a coupla little kids that my kids play with, but she also teaches SK (just part time right now) and has taught 1st grade.

She says that if she were not working so that daycare wasn't an issue, she would never send her own kids to kindergarten as she feels it is a waste of time if they're doing the same things at home.

(Of course, since unfortunately that's not an option for everyone, I do feel that kindergarten has some legitimate place in the scheme of things, as obviously she does too).

Just a kind of funny conversation to be having with, you know, an actual kindergarten teacher <g>

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just a kind of funny conversation to be having with, you know, an actual kindergarten teacher <g>

****that is SAD.....someone teaching kids that feels it is a waste of time cause they could be doing it at home...but for me, pre-school and K involves more...like socialization of all forms. Lucky in conversations with Nicole's teacher, Miss Jennifer, she does take it seriously. They are up to D in writing and learning. So I am fortunate! :)

But I guess nowadays so many "work" at anything to pay the bills and don't ever have love or commitment to their job they choose. Another type of SAD in this world! :(

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:

****that is SAD.....someone teaching kids that feels it is a waste of time cause they could be doing it at home...but for me, pre-school and K involves more...like socialization of all forms. Lucky in conversations with Nicole's teacher, Miss Jennifer, she does take it seriously. They are up to D in writing and learning. So I am fortunate! :)

But I guess nowadays so many "work" at anything to pay the bills and don't ever have love or commitment to their job they choose. Another type of SAD in this world! :(
Um, gee whiz, it was really not like that at all :eek: No no no no no. This woman is very committed to teaching, and from what I've seen of her interacting with kids I expect she does a really good job. I know she takes it seriously; it is certainly not just doing 'anything to pay the bills'.

I don't know why whenever I mention this sort of thing it gets so misinterpreted. My point, and HER point as well, was that at the kindergarten sort of age, there is not much of anything done at school that can't be done at least as well at home by a stay-at-home parent who is halfway trying. But since only a minority of kids these days HAVE that, kindergarten DOES fulfil a very important niche for many kids. That is what she does at work, and I am sure she does it quite well.

It simply is not something that *everyone* needs to get from a school system rather than at home.

Pat

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Ours is going? The kids love their Rod and Staff Curriculum materials.

I never did get my letter of compliance from the superintendent, nor did I get a letter saying we aren't in compliance :idunno I sent my notification in back in August. By our state guidelines, he was supposed to send me something stating compliance or not within 14 calendar days. Nothing Nada, zilch.

So we are doing our thing, and kids are doing lessons each day. We may not do every subject everyday, but they do something.

I think we are more unschooling than homeschooling, though. And the kids for the most part, well my oldest anyway, have been doing their lessons without being told. They come to me if they have questions on how to do something, but they have taken the initiative to do their work. I just check it for mistakes and show where it is wrong and they correct it.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Pat, I had the same conversation with a teacher when I kept my ds home for jk.

The teacher I met was at Early years Center(she on mat leave, me with my two kids. She fully understood why I decided to keep him home. She agreed there was a place and need for it, but if I was home and willing to keep him home and interact with him (as in ABCs etc,) she was in full support of my decision. Turns out later she was my ds's grade one teacher, and she and I became friends.

I must admit, though, that alot of ppl didn't share that same view. Alot of ppl thought I was crazy for wanting him to stay home an extra year, some ppl thought I was hurting him educationally speaking, by keeping him home.

Each to their own, I guess.

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A local homeschool co-op just started here this year. We went to the little summer session they had and enjoyed it very much. So much, in fact, that we signed up and I am teaching two classes! It is a great thing for us. Very laid-back, lots of fun, and only once a week. My boys are taking music, which I teach, physical games and activities, science, recycled art, drama, and adventure club, which I also teach. Most of the kids are ones they already knew from our various playgroups, but there are several new kids to meet as well. I am thrilled to be able to have this option nearby. We are pretty much unschoolers at home, so at co-op they get to have a completely different experience than at home. I love homeschooling and all the different ways my kids get to learn!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
sorry Pat --definite misinterpretation..LOL
gotcha!