So I get some spending money!!! Help me pick.

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My DH has said that I can have half of our rebate check come tax time. He has a new shotgun in mind. We want to start hunting but need the gun first. He really wants me to get my fish tank I've been wanting for years. I just can't though. I feel that as long as we have debt it's a silly thing to buy. I'm thinking one of two things. One putting it towards my student loan. The other I really need kitchen stuff. I don't even have a blender. Or use the whole rebate to pay off the truck. That would be my first choice. I really need a new car but am praying my car lasts till we are debt free. Any how what would you do? Any tips on getting the hubby on board for the truck pay off choice?

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Personally I would want to spend it on kitchen stuff... I LOVE kitchen stuff. But then my rational side would take over and I would probably end up paying down debts instead. We're making the last payment on our house in December and it's going to feel fantastic in January to not have a mortgage payment!

FarmGirl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I vote for kitchen stuff ... whenever I save up enough airmiles, I spend them on kitchen stuff :weee

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would put the whole rebate to PAYING off the truck! one last 'easy monthly payment'

then when you have that savings per month, you can shop sales to find the things ya'll 'want' vs. need.

be smart, go debt free on that truck.

it is a matter of 'waiting' just a bit for what you want...shotgun and kitchen stuff.

wait. get debt gone!!! over the next few months you can get 'your stuff' with that payment that is no longer a truck payment.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Pay off the truck, definitely. That would be my choice.

The feeling you get after paying that off would be so much better than you can imagine, at least it was for DH & I!

Like FarmerChick said, you could then put that money towards getting the other things you listed.

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Buy one kitchen item and then pay off the debt with the higher interest.Ours usually goes towards mortgage payments,but we used it all to pay off our car.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
paying toward a higher interest is good, but if you can TOTALLY PAY OFF another item, choose that.

cause that money then goes to other interest items.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
PAY OFF DEBT!!!! Live like so one else with no debt. Ask people you know if they have extra kitchen items. You will be amazed what people have and will give you. Just gave a friend our extra stove and another 2 new Anderson windows I got out of a house. Old lady didn't want them. So I freecycled them. :) PAY Y DEBT PAY DEBT!!!:weee

Pay the debt and then with the money you would have payed the payment buy your self something nice. Interest is robbery. :) Legal extorsion

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If it were me, I would:

-start using Swagbucks to get Amazon gift cards to buy kitchen stuff
-enroll in IBR for student loan(s)
-pay off the truck
-use first (and second?) truck-paymentless month to buy DH's gun
-once the truck and gun are paid for, go nuts and buy all the kitchen stuff you want!

Dreaming of Chickens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I agree with everyone that said pay off the truck and buy the stuff you want with the money you are saving. After you have the gun and kitchen stuff you want you can either start saving for your car or paying more on the student loans or both depending on how high your truck payment was. Why keep paying all that interest on the truck if you don't have to?