So, tell me about the Diva cup.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm now thinking about getting one thanks to the other thread, lol. How messy is it to remove? Is it a pain in the butt to get the hang of it? Are they comfortable? The site says something about the cost of tampons per year, minus the price of the cup to calculate savings. Does that mean that I'm supposed to buy a new one every year? Can I get away with less than that? I have very light periods and can get away with a jumbo box ($5) every four months or so, so if I'm buying one per year, it's actually not saving me anything. Anything else that I need to know?

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I don't want to give a bad review, I use one now and then, its not messy or anything, but I sometimes have trouble getting the cup to pop open once its in..

You have to squash it flat and fold it basically to insert it, and once its in you have to kinda twist it and it pops open, well - for me that doesn't always work... then I try and try before I just take it out and carry on..........

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hm, from what I've read, you aren't supposed to have to replace it every year.
I don't find it messy to remove. I wash it with soap and water then put it back in. At the end of each cycle, I pour a bit of boiling water over it to sterilize before storage. The sites I looked at said that if I keep it clean like that, it can last 5 years or more.

The lj community has a page about folding it that blew my mind. There are at least seven different ways!
The fold I use involves tucking one edge of the rim inside the cup, which makes a much smaller edge to insert :gig
Then I just twist and it pops open.

I think it depends a lot on individual anatomy. I've seen some stories like yours, Wildsky, and some like mine. Mileage varies, I guess :p

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
Hm, from what I've read, you aren't supposed to have to replace it every year.
I don't find it messy to remove. I wash it with soap and water then put it back in. At the end of each cycle, I pour a bit of boiling water over it to sterilize before storage. The sites I looked at said that if I keep it clean like that, it can last 5 years or more.

The lj community has a page about folding it that blew my mind. There are at least seven different ways!
The fold I use involves tucking one edge of the rim inside the cup, which makes a much smaller edge to insert :gig
Then I just twist and it pops open.

I think it depends a lot on individual anatomy. I've seen some stories like yours, Wildsky, and some like mine. Mileage varies, I guess :p
Hmmmmmm perhaps a different fold would work.

I use boiling water and vinegar to rinse/clean it. Works for me.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, not to be graphic, but, I just can't imagine how it's NOT messy. It is a cup full of blood afterall. Can someone explain it better for me?

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'll get graphic, I have no social mores and I like biology :lol:

Squat, squeeze the end gently, twist back and forth a teensy bit, and it slides out without spilling. Do not sneeze while doing this.
Alternately, you can just yank it out over the toilet and empty it that way.

Wildsky, I like your vinegar rinse idea! I always worry about soap reside.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
So, not to be graphic, but, I just can't imagine how it's NOT messy. It is a cup full of blood afterall. Can someone explain it better for me?
:D Can you hold a hot cuppa coffee and not spill it?

Granted, when I have used the Diva, I make darn sure I can change it in a bathroom with a sink - or just for home.

I might get arrested as being an ax murderer otherwise :th
(but no mess on the floor or clothing, just hands)

Another alternative is the sponge, they don't last nearly as long, and you can have leaks - but they're easy to use and comfortable.

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It took me a couple months to get the hang of it. Part of my problem was I was putting it too far in and it would leak occasionally. It is supposed to be just inside, in fact I cut the entire stem off of mine to make it feel more comfortable. Once I found a fold that worked for me and figured out how to put it in right I haven't had a bit of problems with it. If you can feel it, it's in wrong. For me, it isn't any more mess than taking out a tampon. Occasionally during the first couple days it can be a little messy putting it back in though. If I'm going to be out of the house during those days I stick one of those Always wet wipes in my back pocket just in case. After I'm done with it I usually boil it for a few minutes with a couple drops of tea tree oil before I put it up.

Since I started using the cup about two years ago, I've been very impressed at how much easier that time of the month is. Very little cramps, no running to the bathroom every hour because the tampon is falling out, no itching afterward, and no bad smell.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
Bettacreek said:
:D Can you hold a hot cuppa coffee and not spill it?

Granted, when I have used the Diva, I make darn sure I can change it in a bathroom with a sink - or just for home.

I might get arrested as being an ax murderer otherwise :th
(but no mess on the floor or clothing, just hands)

Another alternative is the sponge, they don't last nearly as long, and you can have leaks - but they're easy to use and comfortable.
I haven't tried the sponges but I'm curious about them. I liked the convenience of tampons, but didn't know much about them back then.
Sea pearls site says they are making different sizes now. I wish I knew how much it held.

Latest posts