So what do I need to do to be self sufficient in 2014?

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out how to prep so we can be self sufficient in 2014. We have a deer in the freezer and doing more meat birds this year. I am building up the laying flock to 25 birds. Trying to find more canning jars and a pressure canner. I have a breeding trio of french angora rabbits coming the middle of the month. I am planing the garden for this year to try and shop out of my basement during the winter. I am needing to get the stuff so I'm ready for dairy goats in 2014. So what else should I do?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I'd adapt the meat rabbits better, maybe add a quad of New Zealand. I'd also consider Geese, and Ducks even if you don't have a pond, a kiddie pool works wonders. They reproduce good and can provide extra eggs, and meat. I'd also get perenials established ASAP. Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, asparagus, rhubarb, multiplier onions, and garlic. I'd also lay back plenty of canning lids, and bulk staples like rice, beans, flour, sugar, etc.

May I ask, why 2014?

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
not sure how far you are wanting to go, but you might look into non-electric things as well. some things are easy- a hand can opener, a sstove top popcorn poper, oil lamps. other things not as much- a well? kerosine refrigerator?

i agree with barredbuff i would add some meat type rabbits. i had a long haired breed for a short time, they didnt breed well and required more care. please dont let me discourage you- they might be a good fit for you! but a trio of new zelands, or new zeland mix might yeald more meat for the table.

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am thinking 2014 for the goats. I rent so I need a plan layed out for the landlords. Plus this spring I'll have a 3yr and 6month to chase around. I'm thinking the garden, rabbits and birds well be enough.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For jars and pressure cooker, try the Goodwill stores in your area. You never know what they will have until you go there.

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I will try good will. I was thinking of grabbing a case of jars each paycheck. Would add up to a ton of jars by August. What size should I get the most of?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ninny said:
I will try good will. I was thinking of grabbing a case of jars each paycheck. Would add up to a ton of jars by August. What size should I get the most of?
Easy question to answer--what size would you use most? How much of each food do you need for whatever you use it for? ;)

We can:
tomatoes/tomato sauce, pickles, and fruit (peaches, pears, fruit cocktail) in quarts
meats (ground bison, chunks of chicken/bison/pork) in pints (a pint = roughly a pound of meat)
convenience foods (soups, chilis, stews etc.) in pints
relishes, chutneys, and jams in half-pints

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
moolie said:
ninny said:
Easy question to answer--what size would you use most? How much of each food do you need for whatever you use it for? ;)

We can:
tomatoes/tomato sauce, pickles, and fruit (peaches, pears, fruit cocktail) in quarts
meats (ground bison, chunks of chicken/bison/pork) in pints (a pint = roughly a pound of meat)
convenience foods (soups, chilis, stews etc.) in pints
relishes, chutneys, and jams in half-pints
Thank You! I going to go off of this for now!!

Has anyone done fruit juice before?

Neiklot

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The most common problem Is that people want to be self Sufficient "right now"!

Now I do not know how you looking at the term "Self Sufficient", but in my eye's it's When You produced most of the things (food escpecielly) that you need on your own.
Of course, you can be there in one year, but it's a rough of a job Until you get a routine on it.

Hope I did not sound too negative now. :)
Good luck!