So what do you make ?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good topic!
I pick wild plums and make jam. I share with the old man whose fence row I'm picking from.

I pick wild dewberries in the fencerow across the road. I freeze them and like to eat them in a bowl with a little cream and sugar. Or cobbler.

I pick wild elderberries and make elderberry syrup. I freeze them or dehydrate them.

All of the above will change as I am moving. :hitI plan on potting up some elderberry and wild plums and taking with me.

In parks and public places across east Texas are usually pecan trees. Pecans are free for the picking. I have frozen pecans that I have gathered and shelled. When I find my home, I'm planting some pecan trees. I may not ever see the harvest, but somebody will.

Sassafras trees grow wild, the roots make a delicious tea.

Chickweed is a good wild winter green, just have to gather it where the animals don't graze it. Makes good salads or taco toppings.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dandelion jelly! That is it for now. I am not confident at all in my foraging skills. I would love to learn more and gather but not until I have someone that I trust to show me.

I don't know what else I could use or make with my resources--I have a lot of learning to do. Can't wait to read what everyone else posts.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Chaga tea, and I want to make dandelion jelly but I haven’t yet. Oh, I’ve made blackberry jam from the berries we have growing wild. That’s all I can think of currently 🤔

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
So the question is, What do you make from your local resource's ??
I make a lot of things. But wow, I don't make them from local resources. You've really got me thinking now! 🤔

DS14 tried making baskets with local materials this year. Each one was a bit better than the previous, but none were good enough to be functional. I think that's as close as we've gotten to making items with local resources.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Blackberry jam and wine. Elder, plantain soap for sensitive skin. Drawing salve made with plantain, pine tar and bees wax. Mushrooms for my regular diet. Wild grapes when I can find them for wine or jam. Medicinal herbs for tinctures, soaps, teas, capsules so I have less to order from organic growers.

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Puffball mushrooms, chicken of the woods, and morel mushrooms are about the only things to gather around here. There used to be loads of wild asparagus but that went away when they did a controlled burn of the park. 😕 We have mulberries by the loads but I never know what to do with them. So tart around here.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i don't wander far at all from here so what we grow is what we make. a few morels, garden vegetables (peas, beans, onions, garlic, tomatoes, dill) and strawberries. i used to have a grape vine but it had too many problems and i got rid of it. once in a while the raspberries come in big enough to eat but most of the time they are small and seedy - the birdies spread them around.

rhubarb i dont' use it that much any more but we give some away if people want it.

Latest posts