So...

SimpleSchooling

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I started because a parent went into my daughter's Jr High School classroom and tried to beat up a student. I called the principal when I heard about it and they downplayed it, basically said it never happened and callled my DD a liar.

Plus, I am so much smarter than those teachers! ;)

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Our kids were in a very small private school (38 students for grades prek-6th). My oldest son started being bullied in 1st grade and unfortunately the school board had made some decisions that made it impossible for us to get help with the problem. It's too long of a story to tell here, but we ended up pulling them out of that school. Our options at that point were either homeschool or public school as all the other private schools in our area are either Christian or waaaaaay too expensive. We didn't even consider public. After seeing our son being bullied in such a small school where we had a fair amount of influence, we couldn't imagine what would happen to him at a large public school where he would just be a number. Now we can't figure why we even sent them to a traditional school in the first place!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I contemplated homeschooling ds#1 when he was in 5th grade, his appendix ruptured & we spent a week in the hospital & another 2 weeks at home(we had a drain). So all his work was sent home with him & he got all A's on it. Went back to school & his grades bombed again. We talked about sending him to the Catholic school & told his teacher that at a conference & she thought that was a good idea. We had a friend whose 2 children were same grade & 1 above ds & she talked with mea little bit about co-oping homeschool, that way we could both work still, ut just divide up the days we taught each week & work opposite days of each other. But we never did it & I wish we had. Anyway ds#2 comes along & we send him to Catholic school for K & his teacher was absolutely horrible!! :duc She had no idea on how to deal with small children & keep them under control without screaming at them. Plus she made all kinds of accusations about ds after he ended up with a bruise on his back from her slamming him against a brick wall. I did not let her intmidate me at all & stood up to her real fast! Since it was April & there wa only about 6 weeks of school left we decided to leave him in but I went everyday to help out in his class & I never saw what she accused him of doing. Although I did see it in 3 other boys! But that was our final straw to homeschool. And as far as dd is concerned she will never see a school room from the inside as a student. For first grade smil was comparing ds & a cousin in their reading. Cousin goes to public & they teach sight & memorization for reading, I taught only phonics so ds did not really read until he was 8 fluently, but I bet now he could read circles around his cousin. We don't see him anymore so I probobly will never know. So we will be homeschooling till along time from now.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I hate that sight reading stuff! We teach phonics, too and we don't use sight words!

My DD was in public school until grade 3 and I am having to teach her phonics still so she can sound words out on her own!

I don't understand why they won't teach phonics in school anymore. When I was a kid, they made us sound it out. They didn't want us to just recognize the word or memorize it.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Ds#1 had phonics & sight in K & then on it was sight, none of his friends are very good readers or spellers that went to school here.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
My boys don't live with me, but you can bet they both would be homeschooled if they did. Someone mentioned that the kids raised to be respectful get picked on anymore, and I have noticed that of my DS. He is 9, and is always talking about boys that for no reason scream obscenities in his face, or if they don't like something he says they tell him to 'shut up'. I really hate that phrase. He is a soft soul anyway, but puts up with it all really well. I ask him how he handles these bullies and he says "I just say 'whatever' and walk away".....he is really good in wrestling, so I hope that if something ever does happen, he can at least halfway defend himself. Now isn't that sad?

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Yes it is sad. My ds doesn't understand why kids have to act like that. He recognizes it isn't the right way to behave & he is 9.