Soap making question

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I made soap for the second time ever over the weekend. I just make a basic lye, lard, and suet soap. When I made it the first time more than 5 years ago, I mixed it to trace by hand and used a never used litter box for the mold.

I can't cut a straight line to save my life, so I saved a bunch of 1 quart paper cartons from 1/2 and 1/2. I also used stick blender that I bought at the local thrift store to mix this time. Unfortunately I believe I over-mixed because the mixture was really thick when I poured it into my paper carton molds. The logs ended up being crumbly because the mixture didn't spread out well. I got some decent bars of soap, but I ended up with a lot of soap shards. Can the shards be melted and remolded?

Thanks.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've never made soap, but I'm interested in seeing the answer myself.

Euphoric Mania

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yes. The bits and pieces that came off the bars can be dampened and pressed into balls with your hands. Or, you can save them, and incorporate them into the next batch of soap you make.

Euphoric Mania

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That works. :) I grate bars of soap to make my own washing powder too. The little pieces would be hard to do by hand, but probably fine if you had a food processor or something.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sometimes I have clumping problems as well. I had some uneven, breaks, all of a sudden when slicing one of my last batches and eventually I decided to melt down all the small pieces and pour into some old standby molds I have. My standbys are Restasis Eye Drop containers, I pinched from work, when my patients ran low and needed replacements. They make a good size bar. If you have a nurse friend, who works at a nursing home, question her about getting you a few to use. My co-workers picked me up some and before you knew it, I had a huge stack. She'll pick you up a few for sure, if you give her a bar of soap.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh wow!!! Sorry. I might have steered you wrong. I just noticed you aren't from the states. I have no idea if y'all even have that med and if it comes in the same container. But it won't hurt to ask.
I lived in Lakes Entrance, when I was very small.

Euphoric Mania

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I usually get around crumbling issues by cutting earlier, when the soap is hard enough to cut but still malleable. All of my coconut soaps need to be cut early. :)

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I have crock potted a few batches over the years, if you would like to search my photos, follow this link and look around. Mine are all public, but here is one. I would add that I used a little water, and beat the snot, well maybe just pressed it over and over. The redish soap is the one I rebatched.
IMG_4647_zpsrrp9lq0t.jpg

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have crock potted a few batches over the years, if you would like to search my photos, follow this link and look around. Mine are all public, but here is one. I would add that I used a little water, and beat the snot, well maybe just pressed it over and over. The redish soap is the one I rebatched.
IMG_4647_zpsrrp9lq0t.jpg

Thanks

Latest posts