Solar Cooker Project

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've always been fascinated by the premise of a solar cooker. There are plenty on the market but I have no intention of spending hard earned cash on one. I want to experiment with building one. There are plenty of simple and not so simple plans available online.

I usually have some grandkid time around spring break and/or on summer break. We have plenty of little projects and crafts that we enjoy doing together, so this may be on our list for a summer project. My grands love our projects and I try to gear them toward a lost skill or art that I would love to see preserved.

We might try the Pizza Box design when the kiddos are here. That will cover a lesson in recycling too.

Has anyone else been curious about a solar cooker? Anyone tried one?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes I did a pizza box one with one of my students. I should do it with DD, I forgot about it! It actually worked surprisingly well!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh cool! I always wondered if it would work - awesome that you actually made one!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Let us know it works for you? I remember my dad had a solar cooker years ago, a commercially made one. It worked really well for him.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's good to know! I probably won't do anything with the idea until the grandkiddos are here...a couple weeks. I think it'll be a fun experiment. My 10yo granddaughter I a wannabe chef. So, one of her "Christmas in March" present from me is a couple of cookbooks and a spiralizer to make veggie noodles. Maybe we can cook some of those noodles in a solar cooker. :fl