"Solar Flare" the book

Jen-pi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I found this book at my local thrift shop. I kinda had to chuckle when I saw it. I took it home and read it in 2 days! It was really interesting...some of the things that they dealt with I never thought about.

The one thing that keeps reentering my brain is how in the book, the President says that the military is here to PROTECT the US citizens - not to PROVIDE or give the public everything.

Millions of people died in the book, most of which because they did not heed the warnings.

Anyone ever read this?

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Haven't read it; who's the author?

Did people die from the solar flares themselves, or in the chaos (grid down) afterwards...?

Jen-pi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I will have to look who the athor is tonight.

The people died from the grid down. It happened in April in the book I believe. They evacuated most of the big cities to rural areas. The people who stayed ran out of food and water or were killed by gangs. When the gangs got really hungry, they decided to raid the Amish communities. They knew that the Amish wouldnt have any weapons.

They also raided the "camps" that they had set up for the people.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
There have been cases of that happening at UN camps. They set up a place for the refugees, and then run like their butts are on fire when the marauding gangs attack leaving the refugees defenseless. At least the author did some research :p

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
The scary thing is that this could actually happen....but my plan is in a big book with red letters. :)

Psalm 18:2
The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yikes. Sounds depressing. I don't suppose there's any chance it has a happy ending...?? :p

Jen-pi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Actually it does have a happy ending. There were approx. 25,000 people at this camp "New Holland". When the last of the flares were over and the Earth poles were correct again, the machines that had not been previously fried, started working. The cool thing was, that I think 80% of the people in this particular camp wanted to stay there. They loved the new (old) way of life. They had found Jesus (most of them) and began really being a community of people caring for and helping each other.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I don't know about the Amish not having any weapons. I could be wrong, but I think many of them hunt. The real question would be would they just give the stuff to them, or fight to try and keep it for themselves?

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I don't know about the Amish not having any weapons. I could be wrong, but I think many of them hunt. The real question would be would they just give the stuff to them, or fight to try and keep it for themselves?
Yeah - I was thinking the same thing. I have had experience with Amish folks over the past 50 years and they have been armed and ready for whatever may come along.