Solar Heat

MyBackAchers

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Any one else doing this?

We have a black roof and filter & siphon off the hot air from it Fall (Sept - end of Nov) then again in Spring (March - end of April) . . this year till mid-May. We live in MN so we can't siphon off during the middle of winter but it cut our wood burning down to 3 1/2 months from 5 or 6 months. . . (mainly) though if it goes a few days without sun - we fire up the old stove.

Anyone else using roof attic heat? Kinda a northern version of a solar attic fan huh?

MyBackAchers.com
A dog's Paradise is no Less a Paradise.

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am sorry. I don't understand exactly what you are talking about. Can you explain about this more. It sounds intresting.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
off the roof of your home?
I would like more info also? I can't picture what you are describing.

interesting big time!
Karen

MyBackAchers

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, here's more details:

Our attic is hotter than hell for 9 months - except in late Nov, Dec, Jan & early Feb. It heats up when the sun comes out so we hooked up a dc (car) fan and circulate the filtered air via a small 12v solar panel. Hubby added a thermostat and set it to cool the attic down to 80 degrees.

Winters we close off the square cross section attic air vents - summers we open them . . and actually, summers I want to not disconnect the system but rather blow the hot air out via a different vent . . but haven't figured that one out yet. The attic still has soffit venting in year round.

It provides heat from the inside of the roof since the roof is black and absorbs the solar heat (is my guess) but since we live with it at 60 degrees in our main living spaces as part of my frugality, the only time we get a 70 - 80 degree house is when the sun comes out. On really cold fall and spring nights we light the woodstove and we run the woodstove steady from end of Nov through end of Feb but we live in Minnesota where most people run their heat system from Oct through March or April. So I estimate, though not the Most Comfortable System - it saves us about 5 months of heating fuel.

The system needs work - like easier for anyone to operate and a easier "change to summer" venting out ducts. Maybe even a anti-freeze liquid system to store the heat till night, but back to the original question - Does anyone else siphon off attic heat from the roof?

Thanks for your replies -
MyBackAchers.com
A Dog's Paradise is No Less A Paradise.

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think I understand now. I have an attic fan that draws the heat from the house out thru the attic. But if it is 100 degrees out side it is still hot in here. Winter we use wood to heat with.