SOLAR OVEN

dianer29

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Did anyone here on the blog ever purchase a solar oven? We are far from handy ,or we would construct it ourself.Also supplies hard to find or purchase here on The Big Island. If you have purhased one ,what are some of the downfalls of using one besides the weather? Do you know of an inexpensive reliable source to contact? The electric rates in Hawaii happen to be the highest in the states. We are planning to change things in 2010 to improve our lifestyle in a healthy,inexpensive way and this is one idea we are interested in. Mahola! dianer29

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
xpc built an excellent solar oven and had a thread about it. Here is a link to it. Unfortunately, the photos aren't coming up. You may want to PM him and ask if here has the photos on a site, or to send you.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I wanted to build something similar a few years ago - but to make jerky, I never got around to it, and bought a dehumidifyer for my jerky making.

Seriously if I put anything outside that looked like it might contain something to eat, the chickens would be all over it like a bad rash :p

Hattie the Hen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

maggiemooscluckers

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, I am new here. I saw this thread and had to add. I have built four solar ovens and use them daily. The only time I don't use them is if we are eating leftovers from the previous cooking day. I really like mine and appreciate not having to use the inside oven. I cook pretty much everything and anything in my ovens. Bread, whole chickens, soups, desserts, pizza and lots of other favorites. To get my plans I went on line and typed in" building solar ovens". There are lots of sites and ideas. My ovens are made of plywood, glass and duct board. I am just a "weekend woman carpenter" that likes to be busy. If I can build them so can you. Give it a try. The solar oven community is big and growing in this time of trying to be self sufficient.

Burton

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Wow its great ........I never heard about solar Oven before .
Really nice information shared . Have a Good Day !

okra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It's on my list of to do things. It seems simple enough to build one.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We built one several years ago, just a simple box design that I had to go out and move a couple times. I put an oven thermometer inside so I could check the heat. It baked a respectable loaf of bread, I was surprised.
I wanted to use it more, but hubby and kids thought I was going to poison them, so it went by the wayside.

A couple years ago, I did a simple funnel design using a foil type sun screen for cars, clothespins and a wire rack. For not having a closed top, that baby got pretty hot and cooked a pot of beans without any problem at all.

maggiemooscluckers

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Marianne said:
We built one several years ago, just a simple box design that I had to go out and move a couple times. I put an oven thermometer inside so I could check the heat. It baked a respectable loaf of bread, I was surprised.
I wanted to use it more, but hubby and kids thought I was going to poison them, so it went by the wayside.

A couple years ago, I did a simple funnel design using a foil type sun screen for cars, clothespins and a wire rack. For not having a closed top, that baby got pretty hot and cooked a pot of beans without any problem at all.
Too bad the family convinced you to stop using the solar oven. I live in AZ and have been able to keep our cooling bill under $110.00 during the summer months partly by using the solar ovens. I cook almost everything in them and have been able to modify my family favorite recipes to cook outside. With today's economy maybe a solar oven should be on the "to do" list again.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I just might have to try to build one. I'd love to have electric bills that low in the summer. I've already decided that my crock pot and bread maker will be used a lot during the summer so I don't heat up my whole kitchen cooking.