solar panels and severe weather

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been toying with the idea of going off grid and may consider going for it, but I am wondering how I will protect my investment when a hurricane is coming.
Are any of you from areas such as mine and do ya'll need special shutters for your panels? Are they easy to remove in the event of an emergency?
My understanding is I can pay for my system in about 8 years, but in 8 years, will I have a tree or house pass through my panels?
I may start small and learn a little as time goes. I might study water heaters.....the making of, not the purchasing of.....and consider getting an inverter and a couple of panels to cancel out the electricity in just a single room (excluding the AC, of course), and see if it helps out.
I have a dummies book on it and I will study it next work week, but I don't think the book specifies what to do in extreme weather.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Hi and welcome!

i think the best person/people to ask would be solar sales people in your area and see what they have to say.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I believe "miss_thenorth" meant to say was to check with the manufacture as sales people will only say what you want to hear.

Only local contractors will be able to answer your questions and they all lie - get many references from them who had their systems installed and call before doing anything. A quick phone call to your insurance agent would be the first step.

I also don't think you meant "off grid" as that is generally far more expensive with a much longer payback, (if it even does payback) as you will need to replace $5000 battery banks every few year, with a lot of on going technical maintenance. Net-Tied and Net-Metering is what you are after.