Solar Water Heater--Can be done!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
for me, I would love some solar but price for a house system is not happening. I can't swing it.

but I can afford (I think) just a hot water system. I will be contacting a solar company and see what a system would cost for just the hot water heater at this point. Smaller price, maybe do-able for me, and I get to take one more thing off the grid.....so here is some info for anyone thinking like me, baby steps to the solar world!!!!

So just some standard info to know if one small step into solar land might be possible!!

Solar Water Heaters
Solar water heatersalso called solar domestic hot water systemscan be a cost-effective way to generate hot water for your home. They can be used in any climate, and the fuel they usesunshineis free.

How They Work
Solar water heating systems include storage tanks and solar collectors. There are two types of solar water heating systems: active, which have circulating pumps and controls, and passive, which don't.

Most solar water heaters require a well-insulated storage tank. Solar storage tanks have an additional outlet and inlet connected to and from the collector. In two-tank systems, the solar water heater preheats water before it enters the conventional water heater. In one-tank systems, the back-up heater is combined with the solar storage in one tank.

Three types of solar collectors are used for residential applications:

Flat-plate collector
Glazed flat-plate collectors are insulated, weatherproofed boxes that contain a dark absorber plate under one or more glass or plastic (polymer) covers. Unglazed flat-plate collectorstypically used for solar pool heatinghave a dark absorber plate, made of metal or polymer, without a cover or enclosure.

Integral collector-storage systems
Also known as ICS or batch systems, they feature one or more black tanks or tubes in an insulated, glazed box. Cold water first passes through the solar collector, which preheats the water. The water then continues on to the conventional backup water heater, providing a reliable source of hot water. They should be installed only in mild-freeze climates because the outdoor pipes could freeze in severe, cold weather.

Evacuated-tube solar collectors
They feature parallel rows of transparent glass tubes. Each tube contains a glass outer tube and metal absorber tube attached to a fin. The fin's coating absorbs solar energy but inhibits radiative heat loss. These collectors are used more frequently for U.S. commercial applications.

There are two types of active solar water heating systems:

Direct circulation systems
Pumps circulate household water through the collectors and into the home. They work well in climates where it rarely freezes.

Indirect circulation systems
Pumps circulate a non-freezing, heat-transfer fluid through the collectors and a heat exchanger. This heats the water that then flows into the home. They are popular in climates prone to freezing temperatures.

Passive solar water heating systems are typically less expensive than active systems, but they're usually not as efficient. However, passive systems can be more reliable and may last longer. There are two basic types of passive systems:

Integral collector-storage passive systems
These work best in areas where temperatures rarely fall below freezing. They also work well in households with significant daytime and evening hot-water needs.

Thermosyphon systems
Water flows through the system when warm water rises as cooler water sinks. The collector must be installed below the storage tank so that warm water will rise into the tank. These systems are reliable, but contractors must pay careful attention to the roof design because of the heavy storage tank. They are usually more expensive than integral collector-storage passive systems.

Solar water heating systems almost always require a backup system for cloudy days and times of increased demand. Conventional storage water heaters usually provide backup and may already be part of the solar system package. A backup system may also be part of the solar collector, such as rooftop tanks with thermosyphon systems. Since an integral-collector storage system already stores hot water in addition to collecting solar heat, it may be packaged with a demand (tankless or instantaneous) water heater for backup.

For more information about solar water heating system components, see the following information:

Heat Exchangers for Solar Water Heating Systems
Heat-Transfer Fluids for Solar Water Heating Systems
Selecting a Solar Water Heater
Before you purchase and install a solar water heating system, you want to do the following:

Consider the economics of a solar water heating system
Evaluate your site's solar resource
Determine the correct system size
Determine the system's energy efficiency
Estimate and compare system costs
Investigate local codes, covenants, and regulations.
For information about specific solar water heater models and systems, see the Product Information resources listed on the right side of this page (or below if you've printed the page).

Installing and Maintaining the System
The proper installation of solar water heaters depends on many factors. These factors include solar resource, climate, local building code requirements, and safety issues; therefore, it's best to have a qualified, solar thermal systems contractor install your system.

After installation, properly maintaining your system will keep it running smoothly. Passive systems don't require much maintenance. For active systems, discuss the maintenance requirements with your system provider, and consult the system's owner's manual. Plumbing and other conventional water heating components require the same maintenance as conventional systems. Glazing may need to be cleaned in dry climates where rainwater doesn't provide a natural rinse.

Regular maintenance on simple systems can be as infrequent as every 35 years, preferably by a solar contractor. Systems with electrical components usually require a replacement part after or two after 10 years. For more information about system maintenance, see the following:

Solar Water Heating System Maintenance and Repair
Solar Water Heating System Freeze Protection
Scaling and Corrosion in Solar Water Heating Systems
When screening potential contractors for installation and/or maintenance, ask the following questions:

Does your company have experience installing and maintaining solar water heating systems?
Choose a company that has experience installing the type of system you want and servicing the applications you select.

How many years of experience does your company have with solar heating installation and maintenance?
The more experience the better. Request a list of past customers who can provide references.

Is your company licensed or certified?
Having a valid plumber's and/or solar contractor's license is required in some states. Contact your city and county for more information. Confirm licensing with your state's contractor licensing board. The licensing board can also tell you about any complaints against state-licensed contractors.

For contractor information, see the Professional Services resources listed on the right side of this page (or below if you've printed it out).

Improving Energy Efficiency
After your water heater is properly installed and maintained, try some additional energy-saving strategies to help lower your water heating bills, especially if you require a back-up system. Some energy-saving devices and systems are more cost-effective to install with the water heater.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I dunno whether it would fit with your family's lifestyle and world view FC ;) but if you construct an outdoor shower then it is pretty easy to home-rig a solar shower that heats just enough water for 1 shower.

Just something to think about,

Pat, in a climate where between winter and mosquitos I could use an outdoor shower about eleven days a year so why bother :p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
nah outside shower doesn't interest me, but an outside jacuzzi certainly does!

I use an outside shower while camping, with my bathing suit on...LOL

but at home it isn't worth the effort cause I have a great master bath, I want to use it...heck I paid enough for it! (and still paying monthly.HA HA HA)

I just want to price what a small solar system would cost. Being in NC I sure have sun! I will report back when I know what the cost is and how much trouble this would be (wallet-wise).

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
There have been a lot of improvements in solar technology since the 80's when I was working on a solar engineering degree. I was always more of a fan of passive solar home heating than active solar, but if you have no fear of plumbing, it makes sense to get free heat if you can.

(And I have one of those little solar shower bags. I use it when I go camping :D )

braveness23

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I don't know how handy you are but the web site http://www.builditsolar.com has some terrific DIY solar projects. The most popular ones seem to be solar water heating. Some of the projects and their instructions are outstanding. One project was to build your own solar collector for less than the price of the shipping for a commercial one and it is (I believe) 96% as efficient.

http://www.builditsolar.com/Experimental/CopperAlumCollector/CopperAlumCol.htm

Total for the proect is $197

Hope this helps!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
braveness23 said:
I don't know how handy you are but the web site http://www.builditsolar.com has some terrific DIY solar projects. The most popular ones seem to be solar water heating. Some of the projects and their instructions are outstanding. One project was to build your own solar collector for less than the price of the shipping for a commercial one and it is (I believe) 96% as efficient.

http://www.builditsolar.com/Experimental/CopperAlumCollector/CopperAlumCol.htm

Total for the proect is $197

Hope this helps!
:welcome
Thanks for those links, I bookmarked them! :D

gator

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
i just took a class to be cert. in this field. its very smiple to do just need to find the collectors, you can use your old water heater also

philpatton

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I dont want to sound like a one trick pony because of my other posts but the best source that Ive found that talks about home built solar and wind power is a site called greenpowerscience.net . They have a lot of free videos that you can view on your computer.

Edit to fix the link

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My dad is looking at getting solar hot water for our house, we have a massive span of roof on the south side of the house for the equipment and he's dead serious about it. A lot of people have solar hot water here, and lots of people heat their pools with it too. Our water tank costs a fortune in rental and electricity!

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Payback on thermal solar is suppose to be pretty quick compared to photovoltaic (electric) systems. With the 30% federal tax credit it is a good thing to look into, even if you build yourself or have someone install for you.