Solar? Wind? Just a thought...

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, I was sitting here the other night...thinking. I know, dangerous! :/ I was pondering wind or solar power. I mean...sure, I guess we could do a little of each, however....IF this old world goes into meltdown....volcanos, earthquakes, solar storms, etc...we might not have the advantage of solar....right? So, In this sorta scenario...there would be winds...lots of winds...and where we sit, there is a pretty good wind source most of the time. So, I am thinking...we will nix the solar...and go with wind. Well, I might still try to build a few of those home made solar pannels for the barn or coops...or even the shop....but for the home, we decided to look into wind power. What are your thoughts?

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It sounds logical if you have a good windy spot. That way you are not putting all your eggs in 1 basket. Didn't they use windmills to pump up water somehow in the olden days? I remember seeing that in movies.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Woodland Woman said:
It sounds logical if you have a good windy spot. That way you are not putting all your eggs in 1 basket. Didn't they use windmills to pump up water somehow in the olden days? I remember seeing that in movies.
Yes, and some older farms still use them. I would love to get my hands on a good old wind mill. They just dont make em like that any more!

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wonder how they worked. I wonder if we could improvise and build one ourselves!

Latest posts