Sore throat from sleeping near a fan?

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Does anyone else ever have this problem? At night, I usually flip the fan around so it's pulling air out the window, away from me, but last night it was so hot, I left it blowing in. I woke up feeling like crap. :( Sore throat, really tired, etc. It just seems really unlikely that I picked up a cold because I've been at home all week.

And if it's just me, what are your best tips for soothing a sore throat?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Do you sleep with your mouth open? It makes me wonder if your throat is dried out. I would suggest moving the fan so it's not near your face. As for sore throat, I think honey is the bomb!

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not sure if I sleep with my mouth open, but it wouldn't surprise me. And I can definitely do honey! Some of the treatments I've seen on the internet aren't nearly so tasty!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
absolutely kate

I get that...I have the overhead ceiling fan on (cause hubby wants it) and yup, a ton of times I wake up wtih a bad throat and feel cruddy.....lowest speed I am mostly ok, med/high I die!

and it happens in the camper also...my AC unit is right over the master bed and I wake up horrible....I try to direct it away but the way the vent is I can only move most of the ac onto hubby and off me.

so yea it is REAL! :)

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Since I'm the hot flash queen, we have the ceiling fan on low, plus I have a little fan on my side table that blows right on my face.
I haven't ever gotten a sore throat from it, but I bet it would really bother some people.

I echo honey, or you can make candied ginger slices and suck on those. Honey is easier, huh! I usually do hot tea and honey. Hope you feel better soon.

cabinchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yep, it's the fan. And unfortunately, I love the whirring sound it makes as well as the cooling effects. Not only do I get the sore throat - I use lemon and honey in tea for the soothing effect - but also my facial skin feels so dry in the morning it feels like I had a turbo wind tunnel blowing at my face all night :barnie

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Yep- another one who can't stand a fan blowing on her. Even with hot flashes. I get a sore throat every time we have to sleep with the ceiling fan on.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Nice to know I'm not crazy! :D I drank some hot water with lemon & honey last night, and then DIDN'T have the fan right on me, and my throat is feeling much better today.

gary meyer

Frugally lurking
Reaction score
Do you sleep with your mouth open? It makes me wonder if your throat is dried out. I would suggest moving the fan so it's not near your face. As for sore throat, I think honey is the bomb!
I by mistake left the ceiling fan on in the bedroom all night 2 days ago on high also that thing would take off and fly if i detached it from the ceiling ha woke up with very bad dry sore throat still have it ....kinda the roof of my throat was very dry and sore now its in the middle of the throat hope its gone by Monday or might have to make a trip to the DOC..