Sore Throats

OaklandCityFarmer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So this morning I woke up with a really bad sore throat and remembered my grandmothers remedy for it.

1 grapefruit
1 orange
1 lemon
a sprig of mint
4 quarts water
1 tablespoon of honey

cut all the fruits in half, break up the sprig of mint and boil for about 40-60 minutes. Everything will break down nicely.

Pour into a cup and add honey. Drink hot.

This does work well, I've never really looked into it but I'm sure the vitamin C has something to do with it as well as the citric acid. The mint acts as a diuretic and helps clean out your system.

Whatever it is it woks great.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Colored Egg Farmer said:
I just eat hunny by itself :p Tastes good and help the throat.
Me, too :) We found it helpful for scratchy, tickly throats this past winter, the kind that keep you up all night coughing.

My sister makes a concoction of fresh-squeezed lemon juice, fresh-pressed ginger (use a garlic press), honey and hot water. Adjust all ingredients to taste, but approximately 1 tablespoon of the first 3 to 1 cup water. It's really good and is soothing for sore throats and colds.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Colored Egg Farmer said:
Me, too :) We found it helpful for scratchy, tickly throats this past winter, the kind that keep you up all night coughing.

My sister makes a concoction of fresh-squeezed lemon juice, fresh-pressed ginger (use a garlic press), honey and hot water. Adjust all ingredients to taste, but approximately 1 tablespoon of the first 3 to 1 cup water. It's really good and is soothing for sore throats and colds.
another reason to get bees.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
ticks said:
me&thegals said:
Colored Egg Farmer said:

another reason to get bees.
No kidding! I wouldn't get it out of the honeycomb stage--I could eat that stuff by the slab!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'll tell you a tried and true remedy that I use for that "start of a cold" feeling one gets...you know, post nasal drip, congested sinuses, sore throat, cough...

Run a hot bath (hot as you can stand), prepare a hot drink (doesn't matter what it is but the honey mixture sounds excellent), sit in bath and drink hot drink(don't get your head wet). When you are so hot you can barely stand it, get out, put Vick's Vaporub on your feet (yes, your feet!) and your chest, cover feet with socks, dress as warmly as you can, climb under a ton of blankets and wrap them closely. At this point you should be so uncomfortably hot you feel like you're in a sauna. Now, I always take a couple Benadryl with this so I can sleep through this uncomfortably hot treatment!

In the morning, I feel 100% better! Many of you will say it was probably the Benadryl, but, trust me, Benadryl doesn't work THAT well! Actually, from a nursing standpoint, this treatment speeds up your metabolism, speeding up your immune system as well, resulting in a quick and better fight against whatever is trying to invade your system. I have tried this time and again and it works!

I also try to power up on orange juice during this time(the "just getting a cold time"), as just taking the Vit. C caps don't seem to work as well as the juice.

Just a little home remedy I like to use. Haven't had to take antibiotics at our house for nigh on 10 years now! Well, that could also be attributed to a change in our eating habits, as well, but this really works, folks! :)

RLAZ

Power Conserver
Reaction score
When your sick, you should always make yourself as warm as possible overnight so that you can 'sweat out' the germs. Unfortunatly, this usually only works for colds and fevers because they are very affected by heat and they'll come out of your body or die. When you have some type of fungal virus or bacteria in your system, it probobly will hardly affect you.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Any invading organism is affected by this treatment, as it increases the number of white blood cells (the kind that fight bacterial, viral or allergens) to the sight of invasion and gets them there quickly. Unfortunately, one cannot "sweat out" germs, but that would be nice....we could all go work out and avoid a lot of illnesses. All the treatment does is stimulate, or gear up, the immune system. Sort of like what your body does when you have a fever, it increases your core body heat and gets the white blood cells there in greater number, and faster than normal. Not a miracle cure but it helps get things going a little faster and shortens the time of symptoms that one has to generally go through.

Latest posts