Sorghum

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
How do you get juice from your sorghum? I saw an article mentioning using a mop wringer bucket. I found a seed source and would try growing it if I was confident I could use it.

If I cant figure it out, I will grow broomcorn sorghum instead.

Okiepan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use a sorghum press, it is a hand crank manual press( 3 roller) I have used a 2 roller it is a lot of work using a hand crank press, this year My friend assisted me with his 1890s era mill, more power more juice , with a small patch I got about 10 gallons of juice and when cooked down it yielded about 1 gallon or so of sorghum syrup.
As for the wringer you could give it a try , I would be interested to hear if that works.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That video was pretty good, how to make syrup without all the equipment to do so.

@Okiepan do you have a picture or link to that 3 roller press? In the town of Henderson, Texas they have a syrup festival every fall, complete with the mule operated press, large vat underneath, fire under it, the whole old fashioned syrup mill. It is a fascinating process.

Okiepan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That video was pretty good, how to make syrup without all the equipment to do so.

@Okiepan do you have a picture or link to that 3 roller press? In the town of Henderson, Texas they have a syrup festival every fall, complete with the mule operated press, large vat underneath, fire under it, the whole old fashioned syrup mill. It is a fascinating process.
Grainmaker.com

Sorghum press

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@tortoise in video she's just boiling out the fluid, rather than pressing it. I'd be inclined to CT smaller or split before cooking BUT would cook before buying a press. I'm cheap.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@tortoise in video she's just boiling out the fluid, rather than pressing it. I'd be inclined to CT smaller or split before cooking BUT would cook before buying a press. I'm cheap.
I was thinking to split it lengthwise and freeze it, thaw and boil in it's own juice or with minimal added water. I don't like the idea of filling a pot of, and then boiling a pot of water off BEFORE cooking it down to syrup or molasses. I can imagine it working for small quantities.