Sorghum

Okiepan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That video was pretty good, how to make syrup without all the equipment to do so.

@Okiepan do you have a picture or link to that 3 roller press? In the town of Henderson, Texas they have a syrup festival every fall, complete with the mule operated press, large vat underneath, fire under it, the whole old fashioned syrup mill. It is a fascinating process.
Grainmaker.com

Sorghum press

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@tortoise in video she's just boiling out the fluid, rather than pressing it. I'd be inclined to CT smaller or split before cooking BUT would cook before buying a press. I'm cheap.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@tortoise in video she's just boiling out the fluid, rather than pressing it. I'd be inclined to CT smaller or split before cooking BUT would cook before buying a press. I'm cheap.
I was thinking to split it lengthwise and freeze it, thaw and boil in it's own juice or with minimal added water. I don't like the idea of filling a pot of, and then boiling a pot of water off BEFORE cooking it down to syrup or molasses. I can imagine it working for small quantities.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So that's what farmers grow around here. I thought it was popcorn. Always learning something new 👍
Screenshot_20210917-205624.png

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good production from minimal land...especially for birds! I don't use enough flour for the time to grind. But nice to know you can -- in case.