Sour cream from goat milk?

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I was reading on another website about culturing dairy products. I'm excited - I just started my first batch of buttermilk (I used the last of my Organic Valley cultured buttermilk to get it going). There was a post from a lady who said in Poland they take milk and make sour cream similar to the way buttermilk is made. 3 Tbsp sour cream to 8 oz. of milk - let set like when making buttermilk. Will this really make sour cream? Or sour cream(ish)? I realize you supposed to use cream, but will this actually thicken the milk enough to use *like* sour cream and taste similar?

I really (really, really) want to make sour cream but I don't have access to fresh cream and I'm not patient enough (nor do I have fridge space) to put my goat milk into shallow dishes to get cream accumulated.

If that doesn't make sour cream, any guesses on what it does make? Good idea/bad idea?

Thanks!
Debbi

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you were using cream then that process would make creme fraiche, which is a French type of sour cream. Using milk would probably just get you a cultured buttermilk type result - though if the milk is really rich it might be *close* to sour cream.
I don't have dairy animals, but I do occasionally make a version of sour cream with store bought cream (not milk). I just make a batch of yogurt as I normally do, but use cream instead of milk. Turns out very like the cultured sour cream from the store.
I would imagine that if you want a sour cream like product, but don't want to fuss with collecting the cream from your goats' milk, your best bet would be to make yogurt, and drain the result through muslin for a few hours to thicken it up. Won't be quite the same but should work in a pinch.

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'll have to give it a try and see what results we get. I'm looking for an easy way to get a good thick(ish) sour cream type product from my milk. We've used yogurt as sour cream before, but it's not quite the same.

I was hoping for something quick and easy. I like quick and easy! :p

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You could use kefir to make your sour cream. Well it's really close. After you use your grains to make kefir you strain to the thickness you like. If you strain a lot of whey out you get kefir leban, a cream cheese texture. That can be used for many things as well.

Maybe read the kefir thread.

g

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
You could use kefir to make your sour cream. Well it's really close. After you use your grains to make kefir you strain to the thickness you like. If you strain a lot of whey out you get kefir leban, a cream cheese texture. That can be used for many things as well.

Maybe read the kefir thread.

g
Good idea - I'll check the thread - thank you!

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'd like to bump this thread ... how did it turn out?

Because:

Now that I've mastered making yogurt in the crockpot from our fresh-squeezed (!!) goat milk, my son would like me to move on to sour cream. Problem is: I don't have a cream separator and like the original poster, I don't have the fridge space to leave shallow of dishes of goat milk.

My yogurt is pretty sweet, and this is without adding anything except yogurt starter. Probably because our goat's milk is really sweet.

If I add a little lemon juice to the yogurt to make it tart, that would just make yogurt cheese.

Should I try to leave a container of yogurt out on the counter for 24 hours? Would that work? Warm weather is coming and it doesn't seem really safe.

Anybody?