spaghetti sauce

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
just wondering if ya'll don't mind posting your spaghetti sauce recipes from homemade. I am wondering if it is different that mine and looking to experiment. just curious....thanks!

what do you use in it?

mom'sfolly

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I'll pull mine out later; its very long and makes about 1 1/2 gallons of sauce. I type slowly, and I have to go add the veggies to the pot roast now. Don't expect the recipe soon.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I've got one that uses store bought canned tomatoes. Does that count? Or are you looking for fresh tomato ones?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
store bought canned is fine

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Meaty Spaghetti Sauce--Makes 16 cups (32 servings).
1 pound lean ground beef
1 pound pork sausage
2 ounces sliced pepperoni sausage
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 onions, chopped
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 (8 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
3 cubes beef bouillon
3 bay leaves
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 cup beef broth

Directions
1 In a large stockpot cook the ground beef, sausage, pepperoni, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, garlic, onion, carrots and celery. Cook until beef is no longer pink. Drain into a large colander to drain grease.
2 To the large saucepot, add the mushrooms, tomato sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, bouillon cubes, bay leaves, thyme, oregano, basil, crushed red pepper, black pepper, sugar, and beef broth and stir well. Pour the meat mixture into the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 2 hours.

and...

The Tomato Ladys Garden Marinara Sauce
A colander heaping full of heirloom tomatoes (assorted varieties make the best sauce)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic
2 handfuls fresh mixed basil, parsley, oregano and marjoram, chopped
2 tsp kosher salt
Several grinds of fresh pepper

Peel and seed the tomatoes. (For easy peeling, cut an X in the bottom of the tomatoes, then boil them briefly the skins should slide right off.) In a saut pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat, then add the garlic. When the cloves turn a honey brown, remove and discard. Put half of the tomatoes in a food processor and pulse to make small chunks. Add to the oil. Pulse the remaining tomatoes with half the herbs. Add to the pan with salt and pepper. Simmer to the desired consistency, 30 to 40 minutes depending on the tomatoes water content. Turn off the heat and stir in the remaining herbs. Enjoy. The sauce can be frozen for future use. Serves 8 to 10.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow thanks so much for these
I printed them out and will be trying both. The first one uses more meat and spices than I normally use....but I want to experiment. Tony likes things less spicy, to me, no flavor basically..LOL---but just sounded delish!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Mine is a roasted Spaghetti Sauce.

I roast tomatoes and ripe red peppers over the gas grill, say 1 red pepper to 10 tomatoes, in the summer.
This gets the excess water out and imparts a full rich sweet natural flavor.
I put it through a ricer or foley food mill, add some salt and basil and then can it.
In the winter I pull one of these out and there's not much more needed other than add the spices that you think belong in spaghetti sauce like oregano, Italian parsley, more basil and garlic(and meat if you eat it).

I adore Puttanesca (google for it's unusual history) and add asiago, artichokes, capers and olives to my roasted spaghetti sauce. :drool :love

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Okay, I'll get in on here this afternoon. It's very quick to make, but tastier than the jarred stuff IMO.
FarmerChick said:
store bought canned is fine

MissJames

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
sylvie said:
Mine is a roasted Spaghetti Sauce.

I roast tomatoes and ripe red peppers over the gas grill, say 1 red pepper to 10 tomatoes, in the summer.
This gets the excess water out and imparts a full rich sweet natural flavor.
I put it through a ricer or foley food mill, add some salt and basil and then can it.
In the winter I pull one of these out and there's not much more needed other than add the spices that you think belong in spaghetti sauce like oregano, Italian parsley, more basil and garlic(and meat if you eat it).

I adore Puttanesca (google for it's unusual history) and add asiago, artichokes, capers and olives to my roasted spaghetti sauce. :drool :love
That sounds heavenly! I must try it!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Quick Tomato Sauce
from The Everything Vegetarian Cookbook
Time:20 minutes
Makes 1 quart

2 Tbs olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 Tbs chopped garlic (about 5 cloves)
1 tsp dried oregano (optional)
1 Tbs tomato paste
1 tsp sugar
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes (the book recommends an organic domestic brand for the freshest taste)
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes in puree
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat the oil in a medium sauce pan for 1 minute over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and oregano if using; cook 5 minutes, until onions are translucent. Stir in tomato paste and sugar; cook, stirring, 5 minutes more. Add crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Simmer 10 minutes.

I use this as my starting point and add whatever I'm in the mood for that night. I frequently double the recipe and freeze half.