Speaking of seed starting...question about outdoor temps

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
So I typically start my seeds indoors. I literally take over my little one's playroom by putting up a table in front of the south facing window where I set up shop for a few months with my staggered planting.

Now I do not have that perfect little window set up and I have to wonder if I can't just start my seeds outside? I mean I live in a warm climate.. our average winter temps are probably 65 degree days with nights dipping down to the mid 50s, with a few cold spells sending us down into the mid 40s and I expect one cold snap plummeting down to the mid-upper 30's between now and mid March when I can transplant my starts outside.

So my questions is can I just start my seeds in cell packs outside? If I mind the cooler temps would they be ok? I think the Dervaes family (Path to Freedom) does...they are probably the same zone as I am. Am I just a weenie when it comes to seed starting?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I would certainly give it a go, if I had those temps. I would think anything down to about 40 F would not harm most seedlings, however the warm season crops (tomatoes, peppers, etc.) would probably need a little more warmth (protection at night, say bring them inside an unheated building). I've grown tomato seedlings without extra heat in a 55 degree F basement, but that is probably as cool as I would want to let them get. (Too cold and you risk problems with damping off). Much below 40 F would possibly be risky for warm season crops, but probably just fine for cool season crops. I hope that helps. :)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Try wintersown.org. I think that's the title. If you can't find it, hop over to TEG and look it up over there. It's a neat method for starting a lot of seeds outside rather than tucking them all over the house and windowsills.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Most early seedlings will be fine in those conditions(greens, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, brussels) - until you get to the things that like it nice and snug at 55or above (tomatoes, peppers, melons, squash).

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Yup, check out wintersown.org . It's kind of disorganized but there is some useful info there.

Cold-season things will be FINE. Tomatoes and peppers and such you will want to keep a close eye on the temperatures and move them to a warmer sheltered spot next to the house, maybe with a cover, or maybe even take them indoors if it'll get too cold. Certainly doable, you'll just have to pay more attention :)

Remember that seeds outdoors are more vulnerable to animals, drying out, baking, drowning, etc etc etc.

You also might want to make one or two more succession-sowings than you normally would, since seedlings grown wholly outdoors may not grow at necessarily the same rate you've become used to indoors so it may be harder to guess when they'll reach transplant size (and some may 'miss' your seasonal window).

Just pay extra close attention to them though and it'll be fine :)

Pat

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

I get so addicted to seedling and tending my little starts this time of year that I am a little leary to try a new method...especially since my old method worked for me so well :/...but you gotta roll with change.

A few years ago a garden site I frequented was really into winter sowing in jugs (as in wintersown.org) however mine fried because it gets too warm to have those tender little seedlings inside a plastic jug...but then again I only tried it once. Maybe I will do a combo of open seeding in cell packs and a few jugs of more warm season things and see how it goes.

Thanks again for encouraging me to let go of my warm, cozy, weenie ways :)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Well you know you could start as many indoors as you have convenient room for, and *also* start some outdoors, in succession plantings, and look at it as more of an educational project than something to depend on.

Pat