spices on deer jerkey

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
yum deer jerkey... it has some sort of spice on it though. leaves your mouth really hot... kinda orange looking spice anyone know what this might be?

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Is that the name of it? Deer jerky? We have some commercial jerky spices at home I can check if you want...Hubby make the hot for himself and mild for me..

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Is it Tony's? That's what everyone puts on it around here. Tony's is really spicy to me. Not so much to my husband.

Cassandra

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Let's see cumin is yellow and spicy. but it shouldn't leave your mouth that hot. Could be jalapano or habenero powder. Now that will put the heat to your mouth.
Did you read the ingredients on the package? Did it list them?

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sorry, guess I should have given more information. Dh killed a deer and took it to a processor. The processor made jerky out of it. After the first deer we got jerky from I wondered what the spices were because I really like it and have never processed deer or anything. He wouldn't really say just went into a long story about how get into deer processing. I was wondering because I am hoping if I ever get a place to actually process the deer I want to make jerky and use this spice. D'uh I should have figured they'd have jerky spice kits just never really thought of it before :p

So I guess my question now is does anyone have a favorite brand that I can check out if i ever do get a place to do all this stuff on my own?

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
HI MOUNTAIN is the name of the seasoning kits we have....made in the us, lol. Jerky cure and seasoning.

RTR, You dont have to wait.....Back in the days when people really violated.....they would shoot the deer.....bring it home....hang it in the garage, basement, shed, bathroom, attic to skin it. You gut it out in the woods (as my dad reminded me just last weekend). Then cut it up as soon as possible so you dont get caught....oops did I say that? LOL, dont wait RTR, life is to short.

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I second Hi Mountian. Love that spice. I have used others and Hi Mountian is our favorite.;)

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We never use a jerky spice-- we make our own:

Here's how to do it--
2/3 bottle of teriyaki sauce (Kikkoman's)
1/3 bottle soy sauce
coarse ground black pepper (to taste)
celery seed to taste (optional)

Mix up these ingredients and pour over about 2 lbs or more of thinly sliced meat. Make sure the meat is cut WITH the grain, and trimmed of all fat. Pound out the meat with a tenderizer. Soak meat for about 2 days in fridge or cold place. Suspend meat on toothpicks, then hang toothpicks on the rack in your stove (meat will hang down). Place a cookie sheet or foil under meat to catch any drips. Dry in stove with door open a bit, around 100-120 degrees. If you have a cookstove, like me, just regular running temperature will do. HINT: Place the largest, thickest pieces of meat toward the back. Meat should be dry in less than 24 hours.

Easy, tasty, no weird additives.